Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Public pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Public pools

Too Funny! Not sure where to post this. Article on MSN talks about how public pools are not the best place to swim due to lack of correct chemical levels. I guess they need to read TFP Forum.
    This News Just Ruined Swimming FOREVER
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Public pools

Oh lordie don't we know it!!!

Most TFP'ers won't even go into friends pools if there is a hint of cloudiness or green. Ugh. We become pool snobs because we *know* how good it can be.

Hotel pools scare the dickens outta me!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Public pools

Yeah, these stories and the underlying CDC report have been posted a number of times. Obviously these are public pools and little of the information in the CDC report is either new, surprising or all that relevant to TFP users. Public pools are gross; heck, I won't even swim in friend's pools if I know they let service companies run them or they follow pool store advice. When it comes to pools, most TFP'ers are pool snobs
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

It says many uncovered violations, including pH level and disinfectant concentrations. However, it doesn't say what these guidelines are. Are the using the recommended 7.2-7.6 pH that I see on the pH up (or down) bottles, as opposed to 7.5-7.8 recommended here? Or the 2-3 ppm FC often recommended in guidelines, or do they use an FC level based on CYA? I'm by no means saying public pools are clean, but based on industry guidelines, I think our pools would be in violation....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

5. Back To Top    #5

I keep "threatening" to test their water with my test kit. LOL My husband just shakes his head. Yah, pool snob I am.

- - - Updated - - -

"Nearly 80 percent of inspections uncovered at least one health violation, namely involving the pool's safety equipment (which can increase the risk of drowning), pH levels (which can trigger skin and eye irritation), or disinfectant concentrations (which can increase your risk of picking up a pool-borne infection). In 12 percent of cases, these issues were horrifying enough to warrant closing the pool."

Sounds like chlorine levels too low and pH levels too high.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

6. Back To Top    #6

My favorite is when you overhear people say that since they can smell the chlorine the water is fine! Then when you explain that if you smell chlorine it is actively killing organics they look at you like you are crazy!
    24 foot 54 inch AGP, 14.5k gallons, 1hp pump, 120 sq foot cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I've been a "pool snob" ever since the first year of using the "Trouble Free" method. I've seen pools (at a camping resort) where you wouldn't have seen a body at the bottom of the deep end. I almost wanted to call the Maryland Dept. of Health (or whatever they call it down there. Soooooo many times I have seen a sick pool, but this one in particular was the worst I ever laid eyes on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akronstax View Post
    My favorite is when you overhear people say that since they can smell the chlorine the water is fine! Then when you explain that if you smell chlorine it is actively killing organics they look at you like you are crazy!
    My wife now understands this as well.
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Oh lordie don't we know it!!!

Most TFP'ers won't even go into friends pools if there is a hint of cloudiness or green. Ugh. We become pool snobs because we *know* how good it can be.

Hotel pools scare the dickens outta me!
    I have actually brought my K-2006 with me when I'm traveling with little kids. I don't tell them there is a pool unless I test it and like it. On one occasion, in an indoor pool, an employee came in and asked me if I needed anything, presumably assuming I was the pool boy. Another time at an outdoor pool, another guest asked me if it was safe to be in the pool. Good times.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

What's the big deal with this report? Who says the standards they are not meeting are even worth meeting? Who says it is safe even if they are at it?

For example, page 232 of the model aquatic health code 1st edition code reads, "5.7.3.1.1.2.1 Not Using Cyanuric Acid A QUATIC VENUES not using cyanuric acid shall maintain a minimum FAC concentration of 1.0 PPM ( MG /L) . 5.7.3.1.1.2.2 Using Cyanuric Acid A QUATIC VENUES using cyanuric acid shall maintain a minimum FAC concentration of 2.0 PPM ( MG /L) . "

Fantastic, I feel safe now.

I mean there is more than that, but really, what purpose does that serve? Including that seems more likely to confuse than to ensure proper levels.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Akronstax View Post
    You could just say "If you smell the chlorine it means there's poop in the pool." That would get them.