What is needed for a skimmer to utilize its equalizer port? Float or equalizer valve?

MitchRyan912

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Madison, WI
I have an old Pacfab Bermuda widemouth skimmer (I believe it is still the same as this current Bermuda skimmer), and it has two plumbing ports on it. One is obviously going to the pump, but the other is currently just plugged up. I'd like to have a pipe from that second port run to a port low on the wall and have whatever is needed to "equalize" the skimmer, such that if it ever runs dry, it'll suck from the low wall suction port instead of sucking air into the pump.

I'm not even sure if I'm using the right terms for this, and to also be very clear... I'm getting a new liner put in soon, so I'll (or the PB will) have access to the steel wall to be able to cut a hole and put in some extra plumbing now.

I see two different parts listed on Pentair's website:

Float valve assembly (Amazon link)
Equalizer valve assembly (Amazon link)

Or do I need both of these parts?

You want the float valve assembly (your first link). Do you have a main drain in your pool or will you be cutting in an equalizer port under the skimmer opening (usually 18" below the skimmer door)?

No main drain. I'll have them put in a line underneath the skimmer. Should it be level with the deep end low wall vacuum line port? I'm not sure how low down that is, but might be a bit lower than 18" below the bottom of the skimmer.

For an aesthetic standpoint, it would look nice if the three wall connections were all at the same depth (return is level with the vac line). From a functionality standpoint, if the pool drains down as low as the deep end low wall vac line, I've got bigger problems on my hands... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.