Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algicide

1. Back To Top    #1

Algicide

So I just bought some algicide for the pool because I haven't treated the water when I opened the pool. I'm in the middle of a slam right now. The ingrediants have 50% Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium chloride and 50% other ingredients. Is this something i can put in now to help kill the algea or should I wait?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algicide

Algaecide does not really kill algae, it is more of a preventative ... stick with bleach and the SLAM process. We do not recommend adding unnecessary chemicals.

What are your current test results?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are currently doing a SLAM, then do not add any algaecide. The bleach will do everything you need it to as long as your FC and CYA ratios are correct.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Be aware that the algaecide you have will probably cause foaming in the water when you add it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm about to add DE to the filter and do a set of test results. I got the algicide because when I was reading the pool openings it said to treat with algicide. Maybe I read it wrong. I'll post back in a bit with the test results.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

6. Back To Top    #6

FC 14
    PH was 7.2 at beginning of slam
    CH 50
    TA 50
    CYA assuming 20 (was 0 added 5lbs stabilizer)
    Water is still cloudy blue in deep end and cant see drain yet. Ive been brushing atleast 2x a day. Vacuumed yesterday
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

7. Back To Top    #7

Perhaps you read about newly built plaster pools- they often suggest algaecides then as a preventative measure while the plaster cures and the pool chemicals and test levels still being tweaked.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain