I'm leaving town and have a pool sitter. What do I tell him?

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Right now, my pool looks great and the numbers are all fine. I'm working (slowly) on bringing my CYA down to a reasonable number. It's at 90 now. I am going to leave town for six days and have a neighbor college boy that is wanting to swim while I'm gone. He's not going to do any testing and I am thinking (sorry to all the purists) I can tell him that when he leaves each day (and he will come daily) to pour a 3 qt bottle of ultra bleach in the pool. Is there a better idea?

I don't have anywhere good here to leave the test kit and then I would have to explain to him how to do the test (I know that it's easy) and then what to do with the results. I'm going on the fact that the last two days, I had to add 3 qts. each night to get my FC up and I'm keeping my FC on the low side of what the recommended level.

If he'll come everyday, the bleach idea is perfect. It'll provide almost exactly what you would normally lose.

Is your pump on a timer? If so, time it so it's running while he's there. If he sees anything wrong tell him to just shut it off. You can analyze it when you return.

If it's not on a timer, get him to turn it on when he arrives and turn it off when he leaves. Even if that's just an hour or so, that'll circulate the bleach and be good for the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.