Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: I'm leaving town and have a pool sitter. What do I tell him?

I'm leaving town and have a pool sitter. What do I tell him?

Right now, my pool looks great and the numbers are all fine. I'm working (slowly) on bringing my CYA down to a reasonable number. It's at 90 now. I am going to leave town for six days and have a neighbor college boy that is wanting to swim while I'm gone. He's not going to do any testing and I am thinking (sorry to all the purists) I can tell him that when he leaves each day (and he will come daily) to pour a 3 qt bottle of ultra bleach in the pool. Is there a better idea?
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

Re: I'm leaving town and have a pool sitter. What do I tell him?

I think with your CYA and size pool, that may be okay, the FC might be on the high side when you get back. Why don't you want him to test first?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

I don't have anywhere good here to leave the test kit and then I would have to explain to him how to do the test (I know that it's easy) and then what to do with the results. I'm going on the fact that the last two days, I had to add 3 qts. each night to get my FC up and I'm keeping my FC on the low side of what the recommended level.
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

Senior Member In the Industry

If he'll come everyday, the bleach idea is perfect. It'll provide almost exactly what you would normally lose.

Is your pump on a timer? If so, time it so it's running while he's there. If he sees anything wrong tell him to just shut it off. You can analyze it when you return.

If it's not on a timer, get him to turn it on when he arrives and turn it off when he leaves. Even if that's just an hour or so, that'll circulate the bleach and be good for the pool.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School