Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Daily Addition of Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Daily Addition of Bleach

Last year was my first year at trying the TFPC method. I had other issues that kept me from thoroughly implementing it. I actually didn't get things balanced and under control until late in the season. My filters seemed to be running too high of back pressure and finally followed directions here and got everything under control. I think the issue with them might have been due to using a product called Pool Perfect/Phosfree.
    I had the easiest year ever opening this year following info I gained here by closing late as possible and using 60% polyquat. I used tablets to get my stabilizer up (currently 50ppm) and have now let the tablets fizzle out and have been using only bleach for nearly two weeks.
    My question is how often and how much and what time of day do you guys recommend on the addition of bleach?
    20,000 gal. vinyl chlorinated pool
    Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Daily Addition of Bleach

Quote Originally Posted by Motorin View Post
    My question is how often and how much and what time of day do you guys recommend on the addition of bleach?
    I'm also new to TFP but if i have learned correctly, my response is test daily and if more is needed, add late evening.
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

I feed my pool everyday. Just like a pet, it has needs. For ours .. it's bleach. How much depends on the size of your pool, amount of direct sun, and rate of FC expenditure. But in ballpark terms, we expect a well-maintained TFP pool to lose about 2-4 FC each day. My pool is just under 18K and I feed it about 1/2 gallon of regular 8.25% bleach each evening when I get off work. Yours might take just a hair more. "When" you add bleach is not as important really - just depends on your schedule. Any time of day will work as long as you are consistent with additions and when you test.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Nice Texas. I would just add that if you test it and it is below your minimum (or even your target if that's where you want to keep it for insurance) add immediately even if it is noon. You need to keep it above that minimum for your CYA level no matter what or you're putting your pool at risk. You have the CYA in there to minimize losses, so get that FC to your levels per CYA no matter where the sun is. That being said, if you're above minimum, and you want to wait until after afternoon sun, fair enough.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason we suggest adding in the evening is because it gives the bleach time to do its job before the sunlight starts to destroy it. If you add at noon, the hot sun will start burning off all your freshly added bleach. If you add at night, it has a full 8 hours or so to kill whatever is in the water without worrying about fighting off the sun.

I'm picturing in my head, little drops of bleach with umbrellas in one hand fighting the sun and a sword in the other hand fighting algae. When if it was at night, he could use both hands to fight the algae. lol
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
    I'm picturing in my head, little drops of bleach with umbrellas in one hand fighting the sun and a sword in the other hand fighting algae. When if it was at night, he could use both hands to fight the algae. lol
    Best thing I've read today! Thanks
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
    ...I'm picturing in my head, little drops of bleach with umbrellas in one hand fighting the sun and a sword in the other hand fighting algae. When if it was at night, he could use both hands to fight the algae. lol
    ha ha. my picture is bleach drop soldiers sweating so hard in the sun they have trouble holding onto the swords.
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

8. Back To Top    #8

Even when the pumps are not running at night? I get the burn off factor during the day but if the pumps are not running at night the bleach won't get circulated properly in order to continue the fight.
    39,460 Gallon Gunite outdoor in-ground, Pebble Tec, 37' W x 38'6" L, Attached Spa and slide, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, 2- Pentair Sta Rite Variable speed pumps, Pentair Sta Rite 3.0 hp Max E Pro, Paramount PCC 2000 In Floor Cleaning and Circulation system, Rainbow Chlorinator, Paramount O3 Ozonator and Trident UV

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by gcivic29 View Post
    Even when the pumps are not running at night? I get the burn off factor during the day but if the pumps are not running at night the bleach won't get circulated properly in order to continue the fight.
    While it isn't circulating, true, it is still in there and actively working. Just make sure that the pumps are on for a while as you dribble in the bleach over a return. It mixes pretty fast.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

I read somewhere about putting an opened bottle of bleach on the bottom of the pool, and having it dispense over a couple of days. I tried this, and it works pretty well. Hypochlorite soln is denser than water, but the higher concentration diffuses out. It takes 2-3 days for a fully opened bottle to diffuse down to pool water concentration. My bottom cleaner (Hayward Ultra) doesn't knock it over.

I'm going to experiment with only partially removing the plastic seal, and see if I can get it to dispense over a week, so I can go away for a couple of days without worrying about Cl levels dropping to zero.
    12,000 gal concrete IG, Sta-Rite MaxEGlas 3/4 HP pump (230v 8A) Sta Rite System 3 Filter, Hayward Ultra crawler.
    10% Bleach bottles on bottom of pool. AquaChek 7 Strips, Clorox SmartStrips, Bakersfield City water.

11. Back To Top    #11

I use a stenner tank and a peristaltic (I think that is what it is called) pump to dispense bleach every morning right before the pool pump starts up. From 9:30 - 9:38 it pumps out a little less than half a gallon of bleach. The tank is 15 gallons so I fill it about once every month and just keep an eye out on the chemical levels/skimmers to keep the pool in good shape.
    16.000 US Gal. w/Spa; freeform gunite; built 2015ish; Pentair Quad DE filter; 3 HP Pentair VS Pump; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns, 15 Gallon Stenner Tank, 45MHP2 3GPD Pump, Dolphin Triton Pool Cleaner. TF100 Test kit!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the info. I was wanting some ballpark idea of what to tell someone should I not be available daily. After opening when the pool was about 74 degrees I was only loosing about 1 ppm FC daily but right now it's about 78-80 degrees and I'm loosing 2 ppm daily.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by holmern View Post
    I use a stenner tank and a peristaltic (I think that is what it is called) pump to dispense bleach every morning right before the pool pump starts up. From 9:30 - 9:38 it pumps out a little less than half a gallon of bleach. The tank is 15 gallons so I fill it about once every month and just keep an eye out on the chemical levels/skimmers to keep the pool in good shape.
    That sounds like a neat setup. Do you have that on a timer? I'd like to look into a setup like that.
    20,000 gal. vinyl chlorinated pool
    Cartridge filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Remember the old Fram oil filter ads?

You can pay me now, or pay me later
    10 minutes a day, or 10 days of SLAMming later.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink: