System Suggestions? Pentair Intelliflo, Aqauarite SWG, Raypak heater, Advantage Sol

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
OK, all my equip is around 10+ years old, and I'm starting pool renovation this week with resurfacing, coping and tile. Budget got a bit squeezed (kid needs braces, again), so I'm trying to keep whatever equipment is still serviceable. Here's what I have:

Pentair Intelliflo Pump (LCD display d/n work, but can press manual buttons for on/off and speed)
Hayward DE filter 48 (or 60, not sure)
Hayward AquaRite SWG (generic PCB Needs replacing)
Raypak Heater (barely used, but still works well)
Solar Advantage controller (Removed solar panels last summer for PV panels, but will eventually add again)
Hayward Pool Vac (the two wheeled-model, used to be Poolvernugen, still works well)

There is a sub-panel in the equip area, but no automation at all.

The lack of the LCD on the pump will probably require a new pump, its about 3 yrs old, and just out of warranty, so that will probably take precedence in the replacement budget. I'm going to replace the AquaRite PCB with OEM, to hopefully stabilize my SWG (it randomly drops salt level to zero with check cell lights, even though I know there was about 4000ppm of salt in pool).

I originally wanted to do an EZ panel, but not sure it would really benefit me. Ideally, I'd like to eventually make the pool as automatic as possible, with the pump, SWG, and solar all synced to control heat and chlorination, and hopefully some day allow me to remotely turn on jacuzzi and heat it up. Oh yeah, will also be putting in Pentair lights, but I don't think those really need automation, and light switch is near pool, not equip pad.

Any suggestions on an approach? Budget is always a factor, but planning ahead seems to be a good idea.

Cheers,
Joel

Joel,

My suggestion would be an EasyTouch 4 with SWG (IC40 or 60)..

No way to know for sure, but I suspect the EasyTouch will be able to control your pump, even with a broken key pad. The EasyTouch can control the SWG and the solar when you put it back in.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, if the Intellitouch could operate and program the pump, it would earn its cost right there. My system is so basic I'm not sure I can convince wife to go automated, but the idea of having the "brain" monitor chlorine production, and eventually temp for solar, sounds pretty cool to me. I know, I'll still have to constantly check it with my TFP kit, but it would help. The whole Pentair vs. Hayward branding war wages on I guess, as I have a Hayward filter and SWG, but the pump is the probably the most variable thing, so seems like it should be the basis for control choices. I'm considering installing the Intellibrite pool and spa lights myself, but they are closer to the house, and away from the equipment pad, so I don't see much of an advantage of having them integrated into the system, as the light switch is conveniently located between the house and pool, away from equip.

I appreciate the input. . .

No matter what you decide, I'd go with one manufacturer. All Pentair, or all Hayward, or all XXXX. When you mix and match you do not get to take full advantage of the products as they often will not "talk" with one another.

Jim R.

Seems like Pentair has a lock on most of the electronic stuff: VS pumps, chlorinators, SWG's, etc. If I'm needing to test my water almost every day, I guess automation isn't that important, since I'll be adjusting things that much. Realistically, the goal is to get it "dialed in", and hopefully can check every 3-5 days.. ..

I look after three SWG pools at two rent house and my house. One rent house I check once, sometimes twice a week. The other rent house is further away, and I check it once a week but sometimes that slips into two weeks. In both cases, I rarely have to do or add anything other than clean the skimmer baskets and the robots. I add acid about once a quarter and update the SWG percentage based upon the weather. To be honest, this is all because of the SWGs and the TFP Guidelines.. it really has nothing to do with my automation systems.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.