Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Multiport Valve Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Philadelphia, PA

Multiport Valve Replacement

We had a pool inspection done and the report listed that the multiport valve isn't functioning properly and needs to be replaced. No further elaboration was listed on the report. I'm pretty confident the inspector didn't take the valve unit apart. The valve handle is stiff when switching between "modes", however, there is no leaking or other issues such as backflow of DE, etc to the pool. We will be disassembling today to check the spider gasket and the spring as we assume it is the spring that is the root cause of the stiff handle.

So, short of spending the $200+ to replace the existing Sta-rite 18201-200H. I'm here to ask, do you have to swap the multiport valve with the same exact make/model that we have?? I'm assuming there may be newer ones out there that are cheaper that will do the same thing. Wondering if it matters and I'm not sure how to go about finding that out.

Any input would be awesome!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Multiport Valve Replacement

Welcome to the forum.

Have you asked the inspector what was wrong with it?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Madison, WI

Re: Multiport Valve Replacement

Your symptoms were enough for me to want to go with a new MPV, but our filter can be upgraded to a higher flow valve. I don't know if Hayward makes different regular/hi-flow models like Pentair does.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.