To Heat Pump or Not to Heat Pump?

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
I'm looking into adding a heat pump to our build (dig is either Friday or Tuesday). My PB said she'd get pricing on an Icebreaker heat pump.

Is adding a heat pump for Houston, Texas area worth it? How much do you think we should expect it to add? How much in electric? Etc etc.. Please help me make an informed decision here. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heat pumps work the best when you want constant temp's in your pool, set it to 85 degree's and leave it there :)

Your climate is almost perfect for a heat pump, the cost will depend on how soon in the spring you turn it on and how late you turn it off in the fall... anything below 50 degrees outside it is going to run a lot to get to temp and keep there, how much it will cost is unknown...

If it is this heat pump AquaCal Ice Breaker SuperQuiet Heat Pump Heat Cool 126,000 BTUs - SQ166R - INYOPools.com

It uses between 41 and 70 amp's to heat your pool, almost exactly what your air conditioner is using.. probably right around 6 kw to run.. There are people that know these much better than I do and may be able to help more :)

If you have a sunny south or west facing roof then solar is a good option. A solar cover also helps a LOT. I added an 8 mil clear solar cover a couple of weeks ago for the first time and I am impressed. I have maintained 80-82° water temps with 50 degree lows and 60 degree highs and rain. A heat pump will certainly work well in your climate too. If you use it May to October it shouldn't cost a lot, even without a cover. 6 Kw for 8 hours a day at 10c/kWh will cost $4.80 per day. I doubt it would run that much very often. If you wait until the water is 70+ to turn it on it will run a lot less than that.

I live in Northern California, and for the past few summers I have been dealing with a pool on the colder side and finally decided to get roof solar (Heliocol), as well as a new VS pump. It has been 3 weeks since the install, and we have been swimming in 85 degree water. The Pool Temp went from 68-85 in 2 days!!! The Temp of the Solar panels with an outside Temp of 80 showed 109 degrees. The VS pump in combination with the Solar is great. It is all automated and keeps the pool at the set temp. I also just received my Electric Bill and it actually showed some savings. I only say this because a Heat Pump is going to cost you around $5,000 and that is about the same cost as solar, and once solar is in it is FREE to run whereas Heat pump will continue to cost $$ to run. Here in CA, our electric rates are tiered and can reach $0.28 – $0.29per kWh, so running a heat pump can get expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.