Robot with a negative edge wall?

Ocgasman

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
One wall on the deep end of my pool has a negative edge wall that overflows over 1 foot wide "coping" into a collection trough about 4 feet below the top of the negative edge. I would like to to get a robot but am worried that the robot will climb the wall, start cleaning the 1 foot flat area and then tumble over the negative edge. Do robots do this? Kind of like cleaning the very top of the stairs I guess. I hope this is clear, if not, I can post a pic of what I'm talking about later. I don't want to invest in a robot if it will fall over the negative edge and break. Thanks in advance.

Based on the performance of a couple of robots I have had, you are MAYBE ok. You'll have to have that caveat with the seller. Most of the good ones are bigger than 12" wide so it won't fit....unless it lodges sideways which is possible.

You could probably manufacture out of wood a barrier to let the robot pass if it did become an issue.

I have a negative edge in the deep end of my pool that is about 15 feet wide with about 1 foot of tile on top of the wall over which the water spills into a catch basin. I had the same question about cleaning robots and had a hard time finding a definitive answer. I just purchased a Dolphin Nautilus Plus robot and used it for the first time last weekend after opening the pool. I watched the robot climb the negative edge wall several times. About one quarter of the robot body went above the top of the wall, then it sensed air being sucked into the robot and it stopped climbing. Once the robot senses air, it will stop climbing (for this reason, the robot doesn't clean the top of the stairs). In some cases, it stopped and turned sideways, going across the side of the negative edge wall near the top. Other times, it stopped and then backed down the side of the wall. At no time did it seem like it risked tipping over the edge, since the robot always stopped long before enough weight of the robot would be above the wall that could cause it to tip over the negative edge. The robot ended up running for about 2 hours the first time I used it, with no issues at all. In fact, the pool has never looked so clean!!! So far so good, and I would definitely recommend the Dolphin Nautilus Plus assuming it continues cleaning like it has the first time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.