Should I buy 8 year old aquacal heat pump?

Jun 9, 2015
East Meadow/NY
Hello there TFB,

Someone in my area is selling an 8yr old aquacal heat pump. Only information he gave me was T85 Aerotemp. Im installing a freeform 14x22 freeform radiant and looking to heat the pool. He is selling the heater for $400 possibly negotiable. It is currently disconnected due to a pool collapse over the winter. I am not really sure what to look for when inspecting. I asked about the condition and of course he would say it was good and that it was running fine last season. Any advice would help.

Thank you,

Welcome to TFP!

A heat pump is a heat pump, same as for your house. The useful service life before having to begin replacing expensive components is about 10 years. Expensive parts are compressor, heat exchanger, expansion valve and reversing valve. Each of those can be a $1000+ job. I would pass on it. Get a good HVAC tech to go check it out if you are interested.

My well thought out response, "Absolutely not!" :D

I am not sure I would take the trouble to hook up an 8 y/o heat pump if it was free....too much wear.

That said, you might get 20 more years out of it but that's doubtful.

My well thought out response, "Absolutely not!" :D

I am not sure I would take the trouble to hook up an 8 y/o heat pump if it was free....too much wear.

That said, you might get 20 more years out of it but that's doubtful.
Thank you for the quick response. I was going to offer $200. I planned on getting one for the poll but if I can get one now at that price I figured why not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.