Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I buy 8 year old aquacal heat pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I buy 8 year old aquacal heat pump?

Hello there TFB,

Someone in my area is selling an 8yr old aquacal heat pump. Only information he gave me was T85 Aerotemp. Im installing a freeform 14x22 freeform radiant and looking to heat the pool. He is selling the heater for $400 possibly negotiable. It is currently disconnected due to a pool collapse over the winter. I am not really sure what to look for when inspecting. I asked about the condition and of course he would say it was good and that it was running fine last season. Any advice would help.

Thank you,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I buy 8 year old aquacal heat pump?

Welcome to TFP!

A heat pump is a heat pump, same as for your house. The useful service life before having to begin replacing expensive components is about 10 years. Expensive parts are compressor, heat exchanger, expansion valve and reversing valve. Each of those can be a $1000+ job. I would pass on it. Get a good HVAC tech to go check it out if you are interested.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

My well thought out response, "Absolutely not!"

I am not sure I would take the trouble to hook up an 8 y/o heat pump if it was free....too much wear.

That said, you might get 20 more years out of it but that's doubtful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the quick response. I was going to offer $200. I planned on getting one for the poll but if I can get one now at that price I figured why not.

14x22 radiant freeform, 6800 gallons, Semi AG, DE Hayward, Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-HP, installing 7/14/2016, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    My well thought out response, "Absolutely not!"

I am not sure I would take the trouble to hook up an 8 y/o heat pump if it was free....too much wear.

That said, you might get 20 more years out of it but that's doubtful.
    Thank you for the quick response. I was going to offer $200. I planned on getting one for the poll but if I can get one now at that price I figured why not.

14x22 radiant freeform, 6800 gallons, Semi AG, DE Hayward, Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-HP, installing 7/14/2016, TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

I would still pass, if it were under 5 years, i would consider it.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator