Piping renovation in SW Pennsylvania

chclark

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello everyone! Sooo I am going to keep this log of my DIY project to help keep me sane! I am sure others can relate.

So the pool was in a home we purchased about 5 years ago. In that time we have put in new liner, heater and winter cover. My family has greatly enjoyed having a pool and I have learned tons about them. Mopstly from this site, also trial and error! Now onto the project... Last season toward the end I noticed a water leak when pump was running. I bypassed it for the season and closed it last year. Now I have started the project, with hopes of completing in 2 weeks or so. The weekends have been washouts here in PA, so I am working around the rain.

Heres a list of things that I will be replacing.
return line and skimmer line
all piping at new equipment pad
decking and railing

With the help of a freind, we will be doing this whole project ourselves. Fustrating but rewarding at the same time. I take pride in the fact that I do these projcts on my own, not relying on contractors. (well except for electrical work)

Heres a few pics of the progress far..

20160523_192913_zpsjy24renh.jpg~original

I was "lucky" :confused::confused::confused::confused: that I was able to dig outside of concrete to replace the lines. Minimizing the concrete replacement. Decking was ripped up a few weeks ago and will be replaced along with a new railing and stairs to pump pad.

20150816_183940_zpsnwbytsyk.jpg~original

This is my old piping and equipment layout. I have a new pad which all this equipment will be moved to and then re-piped. Also will be having some new conduit ran to heater and pump. Along with adding a receptical to bring area up to code.

I hope you guys follow along! Thanks Chris

Are those DWV swept 90s? They don't have the same glue area as a standard 90 and are not pressure rated so could come loose over time. I would definitely not put those underground.

Are those DWV swept 90s? They don't have the same glue area as a standard 90 and are not pressure rated so could come loose over time. I would definitely not put those underground.

They are not swept 90s, not sure why they were used previously, that being said they never leaked...But they are all being replaced with sch40 pvc. Underground I will be using black poly pipe. That is what was there originally. The pool is close to 30 years old :!: and this is the original pipe. It withstood the test of time so I decided to stick with it. I really like the idea that I only will have one burried connection at each underground tie in at pool. Less joints less possible leaks.

thanks! I was just reading your thread. Looks like you have a lot more going on then I do!!!! Thanks for the tip on there to heat the poly pipe with a torch slightly!!!! Hope all goes well and we are both swimming sooner then later!
Glad that tip helps! That was the pitch the sales guy used to sell us on poly vs glued in flexible PVC fittings. It sounds plausible that a heat gun to the poly will help the pipe seal up to the barbed fittings. I'm willing to let them put it in, despite my misgivings about using poly going into the quote process with my PB.

Glad that tip helps! That was the pitch the sales guy used to sell us on poly vs glued in flexible PVC fittings. It sounds plausible that a heat gun to the poly will help the pipe seal up to the barbed fittings. I'm willing to let them put it in, despite my misgivings about using poly going into the quote process with my PB.

If it helps any..... my pool was built in the mid to late 1980s with poly pipe that just now failed. Thats why I have decided to replace it with the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.