Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Piping renovation in SW Pennsylvania

1. Back To Top    #1

Piping renovation in SW Pennsylvania

Hello everyone! Sooo I am going to keep this log of my DIY project to help keep me sane! I am sure others can relate.

So the pool was in a home we purchased about 5 years ago. In that time we have put in new liner, heater and winter cover. My family has greatly enjoyed having a pool and I have learned tons about them. Mopstly from this site, also trial and error! Now onto the project... Last season toward the end I noticed a water leak when pump was running. I bypassed it for the season and closed it last year. Now I have started the project, with hopes of completing in 2 weeks or so. The weekends have been washouts here in PA, so I am working around the rain.

Heres a list of things that I will be replacing.
    return line and skimmer line
    all piping at new equipment pad
    decking and railing

With the help of a freind, we will be doing this whole project ourselves. Fustrating but rewarding at the same time. I take pride in the fact that I do these projcts on my own, not relying on contractors. (well except for electrical work)

Heres a few pics of the progress far..

I was "lucky" that I was able to dig outside of concrete to replace the lines. Minimizing the concrete replacement. Decking was ripped up a few weeks ago and will be replaced along with a new railing and stairs to pump pad.

This is my old piping and equipment layout. I have a new pad which all this equipment will be moved to and then re-piped. Also will be having some new conduit ran to heater and pump. Along with adding a receptical to bring area up to code.

I hope you guys follow along! Thanks Chris
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Piping renovation in SW Pennsylvania

Looks like quite a project, but doable. Make sure to keep lots of Advil on hand for the aches and pains and perhaps beer for after the days don't turn out as planned!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like a great project!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Looks like quite a project, but doable. Make sure to keep lots of Advil on hand for the aches and pains and perhaps beer for after the days don't turn out as planned!
    Thanks I am just taking it sections at a time, night by night. Advil and beer are stocked!
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Are those DWV swept 90s? They don't have the same glue area as a standard 90 and are not pressure rated so could come loose over time. I would definitely not put those underground.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Are those DWV swept 90s? They don't have the same glue area as a standard 90 and are not pressure rated so could come loose over time. I would definitely not put those underground.
    They are not swept 90s, not sure why they were used previously, that being said they never leaked...But they are all being replaced with sch40 pvc. Underground I will be using black poly pipe. That is what was there originally. The pool is close to 30 years old and this is the original pipe. It withstood the test of time so I decided to stick with it. I really like the idea that I only will have one burried connection at each underground tie in at pool. Less joints less possible leaks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like we are having similar projects. I hope yours goes well too!
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MitchRyan912 View Post
    Sounds like we are having similar projects. I hope yours goes well too!
    thanks! I was just reading your thread. Looks like you have a lot more going on then I do!!!! Thanks for the tip on there to heat the poly pipe with a torch slightly!!!! Hope all goes well and we are both swimming sooner then later!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chclark View Post
    thanks! I was just reading your thread. Looks like you have a lot more going on then I do!!!! Thanks for the tip on there to heat the poly pipe with a torch slightly!!!! Hope all goes well and we are both swimming sooner then later!
    Glad that tip helps! That was the pitch the sales guy used to sell us on poly vs glued in flexible PVC fittings. It sounds plausible that a heat gun to the poly will help the pipe seal up to the barbed fittings. I'm willing to let them put it in, despite my misgivings about using poly going into the quote process with my PB.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by MitchRyan912 View Post
    Glad that tip helps! That was the pitch the sales guy used to sell us on poly vs glued in flexible PVC fittings. It sounds plausible that a heat gun to the poly will help the pipe seal up to the barbed fittings. I'm willing to let them put it in, despite my misgivings about using poly going into the quote process with my PB.
    If it helps any..... my pool was built in the mid to late 1980s with poly pipe that just now failed. Thats why I have decided to replace it with the same.