Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked Wall Jet Face Plate

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked Wall Jet Face Plate

Hello TFP,
    When opening my pool, I discovered my wall jet ring/face plate had cracked (see picture). A 2" piece chipped off the top between the top 2 screws. I'm just wondering if the ring is an individual piece or if it's attached to the piping running into the wall. It's secured with 4 Phillips head screws. But these could be tap-cons and screwed into the steel plating?
    Any insight would be great.
    I'm looking to repair this in place under the water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracked Wall Jet Face Plate

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe you just purchase a new jet fitting remove the old and install the new but I will wait and let some of the others respond.
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

They are not tapcons. They are machine threads which will unscrew and allow you to put a new retainer ring on (and not tighten it as much as someone else did!)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks Duraleigh. I am hoping they come out without stripping. Would you recommend that I pump the water down below the jet to replace?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I don't think it matters if you drop the water. I said machine screw and I forgot they are not it's more like a sheet metal screw designed for plastic. They can be hard to remove so make sure you have a good "bite" into the threads with your screwdriver or you can "strip" the heads
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I picked up a new SP-1408 wall jet face plate and it went on pretty easy under water. About $8 Canadian.
    The SP-1408 is the non-threaded face plate, where the SP-1411 used on older models is the threaded type.
    I screwed in a plug before the repair, just to maintain pressure against the jet threads, which probably isn't necessary.
    I made an attempt to maintain pressure on the liner around the jet when I removed the older plate just to prevent the liner from pulling away.
    The machine screws were about 1-1/4" long and were just snug.
    All in all a relatively painless repair.