Adding CYA-do I need to?

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
I test my chlorine and pH levels daily and my pH still gets over 8+ every day with my new plaster (still adding MA daily). I test for everything else weekly. I've noticed that my CYA seems to be dropping and tested at 50 last night. Also noticed that my FC was down to 3.5 from the 5 I live to keep it at. I turned up the percentage on my SWG but should I add some CYA? I did have to drain off a couple inches of water from the pool last week after a particularly heavy rain put my water level above the skimmer. My pool gets full sun all day too. I must admit that thinking I might have to add CYA kind of scares me as I know so many people have the opposite problem of too much. If I do have to add, can someone give this newbie step by step "for dummies" instructions on how to do it? Any particular brand of CYA or anything to check so I know I'm getting the right stuff? I know I've read something about using a sock but if someone could actually spell it out it would be appreciated.

Latest #'s:
FC 3.5
TC 0.5
CC 4.0
PH 8+ before adding MA
TA 50
CH 460
CYA 50
Salt 3200

Yes, the higher CYA is required to protect the FC generated by your SWG, so I would increase it to 70. The heavy rains and water replacement may have had something to do with the drop. You can get granular stabilizer at Wal-Mart of home improvement store pool sections for about $16 or so.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Keep a close eye on that pH to keep it in the mid-7 range. You'll go through a lot of acid the first few months. That's normal. Have a good day.

Stay on top of the pH as the gunite cures. The pH rise will eventually slow.

Do you have an autofill? Draining a few inches of water would really not drop your CYA a sufficient amount to notice on a test so I'm wondering why it has dropped. Where was it before?

Stay on top of the pH as the gunite cures. The pH rise will eventually slow.

Do you have an autofill? Draining a few inches of water would really not drop your CYA a sufficient amount to notice on a test so I'm wondering why it has dropped. Where was it before?

No autofill but we have had to manually add water frequently in the last two months. Not much rain here lately other than the 4 inches we got last week. The CYA was originally 70 but I have seen a gradual decrease over the last month or so (I keep a log). I do add MA daily.

No autofill but we have had to manually add water frequently in the last two months. Not much rain here lately other than the 4 inches we got last week. The CYA was originally 70 but I have seen a gradual decrease over the last month or so (I keep a log). I do add MA daily.
Adding water doesn't account for it. As pool water evaporates it leaves all the "stuff" behind in the remaining pool water. If you could test to a very precise level you would see that CYA goes up as water evaporates and returns to where it originally was when you add the water back. The only way CYA goes down is when water (that has the CYA in solution) is taken out of the pool.

There are always gong to be variances in testing, especially with CYA. Do you have a friend who uses 3" pucks? In your small pool one 3" puck will add 6.7ppm CYA. Using one to help chlorinate for the few days it takes to dissolve would bring the CYA up slowly. I'm just afraid if you measure the amount of CYA to bring it up 20ppm it will be too easy to overshoot and maybe end up at 80 or 90. Plus, I'm still wondering if it has dropped that much at all.

[/QUOTE]There are always gong to be variances in testing, especially with CYA. Do you have a friend who uses 3" pucks? In your small pool one 3" puck will add 6.7ppm CYA. Using one to help chlorinate for the few days it takes to dissolve would bring the CYA up slowly. I'm just afraid if you measure the amount of CYA to bring it up 20ppm it will be too easy to overshoot and maybe end up at 80 or 90. Plus, I'm still wondering if it has dropped that much at all.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm worried about, overshooting it and causing more problems. My husband already thinks I'm crazy to mess with the pool every day and thinks I should just leave everything alone. :crazy:

My brother-in-law next door uses pucks (with a CYA of over 200 :eek:) so I could probably get one from him but I don't know what size he has. If I went that route what do I do with the puck? Just throw it in the pool and let it dissolve or do I put it in the skimmer? We are having a pool party this weekend so the extra chlorine wouldn't hurt either.

I'm pretty confident in my testing but will check again before adding anything.

I don't want to steer this off topic, but since I don't use my chlorinator anymore, can I (or anyone else) put the sock full of CYA in the chlorinator and have the same result? May actually be the only way to make it useful since we've done away with the pucks.

...Just throw it in the pool and let it dissolve or do I put it in the skimmer?
Never put a puck in the skimmer. It is highly acidic and can damage things. (I'm not sure how this is popping up so much lately :) )

If you want to dissolve a puck there are cheap floaters at Walmart, Lowes/HD and of course pool stores.

Never put a puck in the skimmer. It is highly acidic and can damage things. (I'm not sure how this is popping up so much lately :) )

If you want to dissolve a puck there are cheap floaters at Walmart, Lowes/HD and of course pool stores.

Well I'm almost thinking it would be the cheapest option just to get the stabilizer at Walmart and put in half the recommended PoolMath amount and then wait a week and see what happens. I don't want to have to buy a floater if I don't have to. See previous post where husband already thinks I'm nuts lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a good plan. The Wal-Mart brand (and most other places) comes in a 4 lb container. Pour a quarter of it in a sock (I got that here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html) and put it in the skimmer or hang it from a stick in front of a return. After it is dissolved check CYA and repeat as necessary.

Ok, sounds good then. And can we still swim with the sock in the skimmer? Will it turn the water cloudy or anything? We are having out-of-state family in this weekend and want the pool to be sparkling :party:

I believe you should run the pump until the sock is empty and I'm pretty sure it is recommended to run for 24 hours after that to thoroughly mix.

Ok, so to make sure I understand see if this sounds like the correct plan:

*Put half of recommended (per PoolMath) CYA into a sock and tie off the top (just a knot?)

*Option 1-put sock into skimmer basket and leave to dissolve
*Option 2-put sock in front of return by hanging over the side and anchoring down with something heavy (rock, cinder block, etc.). If the sock touches the pool surface will it cause damage? Should the sock be hung on a pole or something so it floats away from the side of the pool? Squeeze to help it dissolve.

*Run pump 24/7 until all CYA has dissolved (is it REALLY necessary to run the pump 24/7-I will get resistance from my husband on this)

I REALLY don't want to mess anything up.

*Wait a week and retest CYA.

Yes, just tie a knot. Yes, if the sock falls onto the surface it can bleach it. (Also if there is a hole in the sock it can fall out and bleach the surface, ask me how I know :rolleyes: That is why I personally put it in the skimmer basket. ) To be completely honest, the best way is probably to walk around in the pool squeezing it until empty. Other options include puck floaters or pool noodles.
24 hours after dissolving is "by the book". Here is the quote:
Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

I won't comment on personal methodology.

It should show up soon after fully dissolving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.