Skimmers with 2" or even 2.5" connections? Wall fittings that size as well?

MitchRyan912

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Madison, WI
We may be in position to redo the fittings and skimmer in our vinyl liner pool, as we are putting in a new liner along with everything else we are doing (pump, heater, new MPV on our filter, & pipes - all in a new pad location).. As such we will be putting in 2.5" pipe instead of the 2" we were planning to install.

if we are able to do so, is it worthwhile to go ahead and upsize the fittings and /or skimmer?

Re: Skimmers with 2" or even 2.5" connections? Wall fittings that size as well?

Not really. For that matter, the 2.5" pipe will yield little value in a 26k pool.

The important things to remember is to match pump and filter and then match that to the size of your pool.

2" pipe is gracious plenty for a 1 or 1.5 HP 2-speed pump and 30" filter on a pool that size.

Wouldn't we be able to move more water and reduce pump run time with 2.5" pipe?

We're buying a Superflo VS and a high-flow MPV for the TR-60 we own. We're going to see if the TR-60 even works (it's at least 30 years old, but I put a new hub & laterals in last year). If it doesn't, the TR-60 will be plumbed in a way that we could drop in a TR-100 later. We were about to pull the trigger on buying a new TR-100, but decided the new valve route would be a money saver for the time being.

The longest suction run is about 53' (deep end low wall vacuum).
The shortest suction run is about 40' (skimmer).
The return is about 27' long.

Would it make any sense to just run 2.5" pipe on the suction lines? How about just the long vacuum line?

You will get a little higher flow rate or lower RPM for the same flow rate with the larger pipe. Also, the suction would be less in the pump basket and thus less likely to suck in air. But would you be installing 2.5" poly?

BTW, for the same flow rate, the change in RPM would probably be around 5% and 10% in energy savings. But you would have to reduce the RPM to achieve those savings.

I think we are leaning towards leaving it as is, with 2" poly. Now to consider if it is worth a little more digging to add a second return, since we are messing with the liner...

I had assumed there were larger wall fittings available, and since it doesn't look like there are, I'll stick with the 2" pipe, so there's only one adaption from 1.5" to 2", rather than 1.5" to 2" to 2.5".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.