Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new owers algae

1. Back To Top    #1

new owers algae

Hi
    The pool came with the house, and we are trying to maintain it ourselves. We got lots of advice and closed it ourselves last year, but no one mentioned we needed a sunlight-blocking COVER to open a clean pool. So we have a swamp. Last year, the service came out, emptied the pool, scrubbed it and filled it. Can we do the same? Thanks
    Dave

Pool: 20K gallon, sand filter, IG fiberglass,
    1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new owers algae

Hi Neighbor!

Cubs or Sox?

We have had a lot of rain lately. I wouldn't competely empty it, you'll risk it popping out of the ground.

You can open to a green pool even with a solid cover. Happens all the time. I would suggest you read the articles in Pool School, specifically Defeating Algae, How to Shock your Pool and Read this Before You Post.

Then in the "further reading" section, read the article about how to clear up your swamp:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/turni...sis-t4147.html

If you still have questions after going to Pool School, come back to this thread and post them here, we'll be happy to help.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi DavidS and welcome to the forum

I also agree that it could be dangerous to empty your FG pool!

Follow FPM's advice and folks will be around to help your clear your pool.

Swamps are nothing new around here. That's why so very many us us found the site to begin with!

We were in the same boat (okay, pool) you are in now!

So do your reading, get a great test kit & let's start clearing the swamp and creating an oasis!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi, DaveS,

Welcome! We DaveS's have had similar issues. My initial fill on my pool was a swamp because I filled my pool from our pond. What we're all saying is you don't have to drain a dtrop of water to get your pool crystal clear.

Follow the great advice given above and post lot's of questions. You'll get great help!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, we are glad we found this site and have been doing the reading. I gotta tell ya, scrubbing the pool down every day for 7 days sounds like 40 days in the desert. But my original question: how come the pool service guys all want to drain the pool? Because it's quicker, sure, but if it's that unsafe, why do they do it?
    Dave

Pool: 20K gallon, sand filter, IG fiberglass,
    1 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Time. The process we're talking about will perhaps take several days. They would charge you out the wazoo to come to your house everyday to clear your pool with chlorine.

If you can't commit that much time that's perfectly understandable but just be aware that the conditions that turned your pool to a green swamp will begin again as soon as they are out of the driveway unless you learn how to manage your pool water chemistry.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

We have had so much rain. The ground is just saturated right now, standing water everywhere... I wouldn't risk it. They can charge you $$$ to clean it up, you can do it for a $ fraction of that, by shocking your pool with bleach/liquid chlorine and running the filter. It will clear up, it will just take several days of shocking and filtration. Your scrubbing may be surprisingly minimal, you'd be amazed at what proper FC levels can do.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS
    ...I gotta tell ya, scrubbing the pool down every day for 7 days sounds like 40 days in the desert...how come the pool service guys all want to drain the pool?
    Remember that their time is money: Most charge a fixed amount based on the water that has to be brought in, how large your pool is, and how bad they tink it is. When they leave you will have another "greenie meanie" if you don't understand how to take care of the water, and it's not hard!

It'll take some time on the front end; not the hours of scrubbing, but testing/adding specific chemicals <BBB>/and brushing. During the swim season you'll spend 5-10 minutes a day (not hours!) checking water and doing very minor adjustments. You'll enjoy NOT having red eyes & bleached out swimwear. Your pool will look great, and feel great too!

Keep with these people, they are THE BEST

PS: Get a GOOD test kit now. The best (pardon my opinion) is the kit in "duraleigh"'s post, or just follow this link http://www.tftestkits.net/ . It'll save you time and money.
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!