Black Algae & Pump Run Time

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I battle black algae every year at the beginning of the pool season it seems like with my pebble surface (probably due to cold weather FC neglect). I have my FC elevated and I am performing manual brushing.

I normally run high speed for about 3 hours, and then low speed anywhere from 5-8 hours to maintain a TFP salt water recommend FC level in the early evening. Should I be increasing my low speed pump time to promote greater water flow over the black algae areas throughout the day? Or does pump run time not really matter as long as I'm maintaining an elevated FC all day?

Brush, brush, brush! Seriously you can't brush enough. I'm in a similar situation. I can't brush enough. Once you get it clean, no black spots visible, always maintain your free chlorine level on the high side. And brush!
Brushing will promote mixing. No need to increase pump run time, unless you've got a SWCG and need the additional time to make more chlorine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Brush, brush, brush! Seriously you can't brush enough. I'm in a similar situation. I can't brush enough. Once you get it clean, no black spots visible, always maintain your free chlorine level on the high side. And brush!
Brushing will promote mixing. No need to increase pump run time, unless you've got a SWCG and need the additional time to make more chlorine.

I do have a SWG but I can maintain an good FC level with a lower pump run time and higher output.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.