Adding liquid chlorine daily.

trevorfl

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Orlando, FL
Hello. I live in Central Florida. The heat is on now. Everyday I am adding an average of 3 to 6 cups of liquid chlorine (from the pool store) depending if the day before was sunny all day or cloudy.

I am trying to kept my FC close to what my CYA tell me using the table here.

The current reading today using my Taylor K-2006c was as follow:

FC 9.5 (yesterday was 8, I added 6 cups of liquid chlorine. Maybe I added to much)

CC 0

TA 80

CH 240

CYA 60

Usually I lost one or two ppm of FC. Of course, I am adding daily certain amount of cups depending of the test result.

Question: Is this is a (give or take) normal daily loss of FC?

By following the instructions here and reading your recommendation to others I now have a crystal clear sparkling pool but can't let the FC to go below the recommended amount or I may see a little patch of algae. I am brushing every two days or so. Not because of algae problems. I just want to kept it clean.

I don't think I need to slam my pool but would like your opinion about it.

Thank you for you help and information.

No. 1-2ppm loss per day is perfect! Most people would be very jealous... Good job keeping up with your testing! Is the pH good also?

Thank you. The PH is a little hard to maintain within the recommended level. Average is close to 7.6 or 7.8. But if I don't add acid at least 2 cups twice a week it jump up to 8. I think the reason is because of the liquid chlorine I add daily. TA is always 80. Hardly go to 70.

Do you have a vinyl or plaster pool?

Shame on me, I am not sure. :(

We bought this house with the pool that was build back on 1990. The only record that we got was from a pool store close to the house. the previous owner(s) was doing business with them. They told me that their records shows it is a Marcite/Gunite pool. What I can only tell is that the surface is kind of "rough" and so are the walls. Comfortable rough and have real tiles on the top. I know that does not say much.

Thank you!

IMG_0252.jpg

Try working your TA down to 70 or 60 and see if your pH rise slows. When I did this, my pool went from using about the same amount of MA as you down to about a cup a week with a pH that stays right around 7.5 to 7.6 with very little upward pressure. From reading here, it seems that some pools prefer a slightly lower TA for pH stability.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will do so. The Pool Math mention "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH.

This is the way I will do it. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!. After 2.5 years wondering now I know!!

:) Added to the signature

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Now I know. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.