Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding liquid chlorine daily.

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding liquid chlorine daily.

Hello. I live in Central Florida. The heat is on now. Everyday I am adding an average of 3 to 6 cups of liquid chlorine (from the pool store) depending if the day before was sunny all day or cloudy.

I am trying to kept my FC close to what my CYA tell me using the table here.

The current reading today using my Taylor K-2006c was as follow:

FC 9.5 (yesterday was 8, I added 6 cups of liquid chlorine. Maybe I added to much)

CC 0

TA 80

CH 240

CYA 60

Usually I lost one or two ppm of FC. Of course, I am adding daily certain amount of cups depending of the test result.

Question: Is this is a (give or take) normal daily loss of FC?

By following the instructions here and reading your recommendation to others I now have a crystal clear sparkling pool but can't let the FC to go below the recommended amount or I may see a little patch of algae. I am brushing every two days or so. Not because of algae problems. I just want to kept it clean.

I don't think I need to slam my pool but would like your opinion about it.

Thank you for you help and information.
    15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding liquid chlorine daily.

"Normal" if there is such a thing is roughly 2-4ppm FC loss per day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No. 1-2ppm loss per day is perfect! Most people would be very jealous... Good job keeping up with your testing! Is the pH good also?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    "Normal" if there is such a thing is roughly 2-4ppm FC loss per day.
    Thank you for the information.
    15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    No. 1-2ppm loss per day is perfect! Most people would be very jealous... Good job keeping up with your testing! Is the pH good also?
    Thank you. The PH is a little hard to maintain within the recommended level. Average is close to 7.6 or 7.8. But if I don't add acid at least 2 cups twice a week it jump up to 8. I think the reason is because of the liquid chlorine I add daily. TA is always 80. Hardly go to 70.

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have a vinyl or plaster pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Do you have a vinyl or plaster pool?
    Shame on me, I am not sure.

We bought this house with the pool that was build back on 1990. The only record that we got was from a pool store close to the house. the previous owner(s) was doing business with them. They told me that their records shows it is a Marcite/Gunite pool. What I can only tell is that the surface is kind of "rough" and so are the walls. Comfortable rough and have real tiles on the top. I know that does not say much.

Thank you!

IMG_0252.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

Try working your TA down to 70 or 60 and see if your pH rise slows. When I did this, my pool went from using about the same amount of MA as you down to about a cup a week with a pH that stays right around 7.5 to 7.6 with very little upward pressure. From reading here, it seems that some pools prefer a slightly lower TA for pH stability.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Then you have a plaster pool! You can add that to your sig if you like
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

It is a plaster pool. There are many types of surfaces that get incorporated in to a plaster pool. Plaster pools have a surface that is cement based.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

I will do so. The Pool Math mention "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH.

This is the way I will do it. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!. After 2.5 years wondering now I know!!

Added to the signature

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Now I know.