Pool Gauge Question...that kept getting bigger

May 14, 2016
Amory, MS
Another question. I've been using my new tfp100 kit and have my numbers correct. Clear when the pump isn't running. When the pump is running I get a fine brownish almost translucent dust on the bottom. I read about adding DE to filter finer particles. I had to replace our gauge before I tried it. Got it today. It only reads 3 psi after back washing. I'm fighting an air leak somewhere. I replaced the basket lid o ring and that got rid of the bubbles in the basket but still have a few coming from the returns. Better but not gone. Does that pressure sound low? 1st year pool owner. Seems like I fix one thing to find another that needs fixing.....this forum is a huge help thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The brownish dust you see is likely not the result ofd your filter but you have a chemistry issue. It's probably dead algae that you do not see when it's alive. The solution is probably to SLAM your pool but the start of that is to post up a set of test results so we can help you start the SLAM.

Now, to your pump. Does the water slosh around in the pump basket when it is reading 3 psi.

You have several unrelated things to fix so take them one at a time.

FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.5
ALK 110
CYA 50

FC has just came under 10 after about 2 weeks of being really high. I was at 21 with no loss several days. That's about the time my kit came in. It had been a week since any chlorine had been added.

There were bubbles and cavitation until I changed out the basket lid oring. It is smooth now. That cleared a good deal of the air out of the returns but still have a few bubbles floating up.

Since those numbers do not indicate the presence of algae, could you do another test that will confirm that. It's called the OCLT and how to do it is spelled out in an article in Pool School. That'll more or less prove it's not algae if you pass that test. We'll be really methodical here and get your pool crystal clear for the rest of the summer. What test kit do you have?

Make sure that the pump basket o ring has been lubed. FYI, air comes into the system before the impeller on the pump and a little air in the basket is okay as long has you don't have air coming out of the returns.

I have the TFP-100. I've been testing twice a day waiting on the chlorine level to go down to test the ph and alk correctly. It was 9 yesterday am, pm and this am. I have a brand new lubed basket oring. That took it from the basket looking like Hurricane Camille to completely calm. Bubbles aren't jetting out of the return anymore but just floating up from the returns.

I have the TFP-100. I've been testing twice a day waiting on the chlorine level to go down to test the ph and alk correctly. It was 9 yesterday am, pm and this am. I have a brand new lubed basket oring. That took it from the basket looking like Hurricane Camille to completely calm. Bubbles aren't jetting out of the return anymore but just floating up from the returns.

You are at a good level to run the OCLT starting tonight....do you plan to do that?

I think you have already passed the OCLT if you were at 9 in the pm and same 9fc in the am and you say your pool is clear and 0 CC..

Have you done a deep clean on your sand filter, if your filter has channeled it could be letting small particles to return to the pool

Here ya go :)

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

I can run another OCLT. It seems as if the way it's holding the chlorine, it's ok in that regard. It's taken almost 3 weeks after the big infusion to get it down to under 10. But I'm open to suggestions. I'm def learning.

I had just found the cleaning the sand filter video. The previous owner said they had the sand changed April 2015.

b87449e5235c815122dfc3e063d99e65.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI, sand never needs to be replaced. Glad you passed the OCLT.

It could be pollen or it could be something from the filter. Tie a sock over a return and see if it catches something you should deep clean and inspect the laterals. If it doesn't, I would say it is pollen.

FC 9
...That cleared a good deal of the air out of the returns but still have a few bubbles floating up...

If you are still getting air bubbles out the return jets well after the pump basket has refilled, try resetting the valve position to see if that fixes it. stop the pump, press down and move the filter handle slightly to one side and then back to filter position. If that stops the air bubbles you might want to check the spider gasket in your filter valve. If the gasket is not distorted, maybe just put some lube on it. Remember: change valve position only when pump is off. also helpful to turn valve in one direction only (except for the suggested test).

Weird that I only see it when I run the pump. If I vacuum and shut off the pump, it seems to stay away.

I was looking at my filter valve and I can hear a small air leak. It seems to not be from the tank and valve mating surface. It's up higher around the body. 3 psi still on the gauge. Would this kind of leak cause low pressure and air bubbles.

Weird that I only see it when I run the pump.
The pump causes flow along the bottom of the pool and the debris stacks up in crevasses or seams in the pool surface.

No reason to do another OCLT....you passed, I just missed it.

So, I think you are stuck with having pollen in your pool as a best guess. Brush it up into the water every time you see it as that will expose it to the chlorine and will also get it filtered out of your pool.

I was looking at my filter valve and I can hear a small air leak. It seems to not be from the tank and valve mating surface. It's up higher around the body. 3 psi still on the gauge. Would this kind of leak cause low pressure and air bubbles...

try squirting some water on different areas of the valve to see if you can find exactly where the leak is. may be able to tighten one or more screws to fix it.

Just an update....plugged my skimmer vac in to get some of the brown whatever out. When I turned of the main drain, I lost prime. Got back on TFP, found a thread with some trouble shooting tips. I checked the pump and basket and found a split in the back of the basket. When I split the case, found a chip and dale stash of acorns that prob came through the split under pressure. Now gauge went from 3 psi to 15. No bubbles out of the return and the pump is nice and quiet. Hopefully this was a lot of symptoms of the same small problem. Live and learn. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.