Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Post-Slam/OCLT: FC Loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Post-Slam/OCLT: FC Loss

Hi. I had to close my pool early last fall and it was a bit green when I opened. I did a slam and passed an OCLT for two nights in a row, the second OCLT passed this morning. The water is sparkling. I decided to let my FC drift down. Here are my current numbers:

FC 14
    CC. 0
    PH ? Was 7.2 before slam
    TA 130 (will work on this later)
    CH 170 (need to raise for my heater later)
    CYA just under 40

This morning the FC was 18 with 0 loss overnight. I lost 4ppm during the day today. I plan on testing FC/CC again after dark.

I am wondering if FC can fall that fast or if I have an issue. Any advice?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Post-Slam/OCLT: FC Loss

Gee. I really am not sure... Anyone?

3. Back To Top    #3

Retested after dark. fC still 14. Still wondering if I should be worried.

4. Back To Top    #4

A loss of 4 sounds reasonable with under 40 CYA.

The higher the FC, the faster it drops. It's not a fixed parts per million, but a percentage. So the higher the starting point, the more you lose. Part of the reason we don't push for a higher FC level during the SLAM -- so much gets lost to the sun at higher levels.

Trust your results. You ran the OCLT twice and it was fine. You've ruled out organics, so it has to be sunlight. I know somewhere there's a graph. I should go hunt for it.

Update: Second and third graphs should put your mind at ease. Pool Water Chemistry
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I am in big trouble. Please help. First OCLT passed Saturday/Sunday. The second on Sunday/Monday.

Tuesday's results (FC was 14 after dark Monday night) CYA <40
    6:30am FC was at 10 CC 0 (an hour after sunrise: Out of fresh bleach)
    12:30pm FC 7.5 CC 0.5 Added to bring to 14. Walls feel a little slimy; brushed. PH 7.3
    4:30pm FC 12 CC 0
    5:30pm FC 11.5 Added to bring to 12.5

The only thing different is on Sunday:
    1) we put the ladders in. The outsides were scrubbed with bleach water. Could there be algae spores in the metal tubing? I took the ladders out and took the caps that sit against the pool surface off and only see dirt, nothing green. Left ladders out.
    2) pool floats were in the water on Sunday also

Light niche was scrubbed at opening.

I don't understand what is happening.

6. Back To Top    #6

Why do you think you have a problem, your weather shows 30C & sunny, FC loss is to be expected, you have minimal CYA <40 could be 20 ??, 0CC, . What are you afraid of?
    --
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).
    --

7. Back To Top    #7

SLAM it again and leave everything in the water to soak, then. Leave everything in to soak while it's happening, too. If it's just a little slipperiness and high FC consumption, it should go fast.

Check out
    Problem Found and Ideas needed
    Water problems
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Richard is the expert here, for sure. With a CYA of just under 40 (post #1), you need to get back up to 16ppm for the slam, not 12. Not sure if you were trying to slam today... Hope that helps!