Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easy Set vs. Frame Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Easy Set vs. Frame Pool?

Considering buying a new pool. Our old one is 6 years old (18x48 Frame Intex) and leaking in way too many spots to patch. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new one. Looking at three different types:

1. Intex 18x48 Steel Frame (pretty much the exact same we have had)

2. Intex 18x48 Easy Set (with the blue inflatable ring on the top)

3. Intex 20 x 12 x 48 Oval Frame Pool SetLeaning towards going to an easy set or the oval frame, but wanted to get the opinion of some knowledgeable people on this board. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easy Set vs. Frame Pool?

Honestly, all are good choices. Personally I think an ultra frame has better support as you aren't strictly relying on the liner/wall for support but have braces/posts for additional. On the oval frame versus round frame, that's also strictly up to you. On average rounds have more service area compared to similar ovals. There are huge ovals however.
    Above Ground 30' by 54" 22,600
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Dual Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    TF100 Test Kit
    BBB ALL the way!
    Questions about pool care? Visit Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

The steel frames are much better pools.. the round pool gives you more room and is really stable but if the oval works for you they are a great pool.. check out my install of an oval pool in my sig
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

FYI the oval frame pool is kind of a hybrid. It has a inflatable ring around the top but also has a few steel pole propping it up from the side. I have only seen them online and just wondered what the drawbacks or positives were.

5. Back To Top    #5

Having one before, I would rally urge you to buy the Ultra version instead of the blow up top ring. The top rings leak bad, and are next to impossible to fix.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I had an 18' easy set and an 18' ultra frame previously. There was more useable space in the ultra frame, including water height. The ring at the top has a smaller diameter than the base of the pool.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    I had an 18' easy set and an 18' ultra frame previously. There was more useable space in the ultra frame, including water height. The ring at the top has a smaller diameter than the base of the pool.
    Did you find the easy set to stable enough. I'm leaning towards the frame, but just curious how stable the easy sets are.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I thought it was a little too easy for a child to climb over the side. (My son was a daredevil) more than once someone pushed down on the ring and there was water loss. Not much, as I was always in the pool with them. But had I not been paying attention, I believe a significant amount could have escaped. I had gotten a pinhole or two on the easyset bottom, it was repairable. Have not had any on the two ultra frames I've owned. (Upgraded for depth.)
    I enjoyed our easy set pool, but I like the size and strength of the ultra frame a little better. They are more appealing to the eye, too, lol.(to me.)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I thought it was a little too easy for a child to climb over the side. (My son was a daredevil) more than once someone pushed down on the ring and there was water loss. Not much, as I was always in the pool with them. But had I not been paying attention, I believe a significant amount could have escaped. I had gotten a pinhole or two on the easyset bottom, it was repairable. Have not had any on the two ultra frames I've owned. (Upgraded for depth.)
    I enjoyed our easy set pool, but I like the size and strength of the ultra frame a little better. They are more appealing to the eye, too, lol.(to me.)
    Thanks again for the information. I agree with everything you said, just wanted to hear it from someone who has owned an easy set. The reason I considered the oval pool is because it looks (at least from the online photos) like it has kind of combined the steel frame with the easy set. Pool.jpeg

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks again for the information. I agree with everything you said, just wanted to hear it from someone who has owned an easy set. The reason I considered the oval pool is because it looks (at least from the online photos) like it has kind of combined the steel frame with the easy set. Pool.jpeg

11. Back To Top    #11

Previously I had a an easy set and a frame pool. I found that the blow up ring was a pain.. constantly keeping air in it. My frame pool was awesome.. and stood up to lots of abuse.. it was still in great shape when I gave it away before upgrading.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the info. I think I'm just gonna replace with a metal frame of the same size (18x48). So now the question is:

Do I replace with a Coleman rather than an Intex? The Coleman power steel frame looks like a good buy at $380 online. The Intex ultra frames are not available at Wal-Mart.com and if I do find them other places they are nearly double the price. Two concerns I have with the Coleman:
    1. I read in a review that it is not quite as wide as advertised.
    2. Evidently it has two intake hoses rather than one. I didn't know if this would cause problems with my skimmer.

Thanks for any help, before I pull the trigger on this purchase.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm just gonna replace with a metal frame of the same size (18x48). So now the question is:

Do I replace with a Coleman rather than an Intex? The Coleman power steel frame looks like a good buy at $380 online. The Intex ultra frames are not available at Wal-Mart.com and if I do find them other places they are nearly double the price. Two concerns I have with the Coleman:
    1. I read in a review that it is not quite as wide as advertised.
    2. Evidently it has two intake hoses rather than one. I didn't know if this would cause problems with my skimmer.

Thanks for any help, before I pull the trigger on this purchase.
    Academy has them in stock online and in store. I can't speak to the Coleman comparison as I have only owned Intex easy and ultra. Smart call steering clear of the easy set. Inflatable ring is nearly impossible to repair.
    Intex 14' x 42"
    Intex 2650 GPH sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for heads up on Academy. Are you saying it's worth it to buy the Intex over the Coleman? Just curious if anyone know why they discontinued the 18 x 48 Ultra Frame. I don't even see it on the Intex website anymore.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

All of them now have the 2 intakes so no one gets trapped in the suction..

The Coleman has a much cheaper pump and filter and they use a thinner steel, how much thinner I am not sure...

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

16. Back To Top    #16

Okay thanks Cowboy. Wasn't aware one of those above ground pumps could generate enough suction to cause any problems. So I would assume you can still use a skimmer in one of the intakes.