Polaris 380 issues

May 8, 2016
Howell, NJ
Hey everyone - New pool owner here, bought a house with a pool end of last summer. Opened the pool this year to a big green mess and with the help of this forum was able to get it clean and clear. Now I'm working on the Polaris. It's a 380 with booster. It was barely moving and clearly needed work. I spent some time watching videos over and over on how to take them apart and see what's wrong. When I opened it up both belts were completely gone. So I went ahead and replaced those belts and while I was in there replaced all 8 bearings. Took a bit of time as I kept messing up the order of stuff but finally got it back together and it seems to be moving pretty well outside the water.

I connect it, turn on the booster, and I hold it just under the water to see about the RPM's. The wheel doesn't move at all, it's just stuck. Plenty of water is shooting out of the thrust jet in the back and out the sweep hose.

Not sure what to do at this point? Should I replace the ball bearing that goes into the drive shaft? That would be part 9-100-1103? It seems to move OK outside of the water so I'm not sure if this is my next move.

Or could the part that feeds water into the turbine be clogged? How can I test this? I don't notice any holes or tears in any of the tubing, perhaps there is some sand or something stuck where water feeds the turbine?

Any thoughts for this newbie would be appreciated. I spent a good 4 hours today trying to get this thing fixed and I would kind of like some thoughts before I continue :)

Thanks,
Bill

If the belts are connected, and the wheels are not turning, it may be something is in the turbine. with the gear reductions, it doesn't take much to stop it. I had a piece of a leaf about the size of a nickle get into the turbine area and it stopped mine dead. Try taking the cover off and then applying flow. Also you may have a loose/disconnected hose but not be able to see it. Good luck. P.S. instead of replacing individual pieces, next time may be better off just doing a complete rebuild using a kit http://http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028IY6KC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001C1A3QW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1H0DV935FG88191XGKZF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.