Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To drain or not to drain

1. Back To Top    #1

To drain or not to drain

Have been battling algae and cloudiness in the pool and was treating with pool store chemicals. I know bad idea.
    We stopped using tabs and chemicals and were using nothing but Liquid Chlorine and faithful scrubbing. The pool looks clear and clean.

My number are:
    FC 4
    CC 1
    PH 7.4
    ALK 140
    CYA 160

With the CYA so high should we drain our pool now? Temps are not regularly over a hundred yet.
    18,000 in-ground pool, Pebble Fina Finish, 2hp Pentair pump, Hayward 311sx sand filter. KT 2006 Test kit Tabs/bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To drain or not to drain

Yes, you'll need to drain. Those pool store products just got the best of your pool. A drain, or few partial drains, is the only way to go. Otherwise, you will never be able to keep the FC high enough to work with that CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get 160 from a dilution testing method like this:
    CYA Dilution Testing:
    Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
    Add tap water to top of sticker.
    Shake.
    Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
    Add reagent to top of sticker.
    Shake.
    Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
    Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
    Double the result.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, but not outside. Checked it twice and then took a picture with my phone to record the level.
    18,000 in-ground pool, Pebble Fina Finish, 2hp Pentair pump, Hayward 311sx sand filter. KT 2006 Test kit Tabs/bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd drain it half way, refill, and recheck that CYA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely check outside next time. The bright (indirect) light from behind your back makes a big difference in viewing the dot. As Woody noted, a 50% water exchange is a good place to start.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!