Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing New Skimmer Box And Have A Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing New Skimmer Box And Have A Leak

I installed my new wide mouth skimmer box in my above ground pool. I included the gaskets on both sides and tightened all the screws. I have a very tiny drip in the bottom left corner that is driving me crazy. When i installed it, I started with the top first, since that was the part above the water line and then tightened the bottom. Should I have done the bottom first? I don't want to keep cranking the screws and crack it.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Installing New Skimmer Box And Have A Leak

While not the best solution you can use 3m 4000 or 4200 to seal the leak..

The 4000 i think would be the best to use (3 oz)
    Amazon.com: 3M 05280 Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV, White / 3 oz.: Industrial Scientific

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I loosened up the top and side screws, and tightened the screws in the water first and that seemed to do the trick. I may keep that sealant handy though in case it comes back.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

excellent, thanks for letting us know, now go enjoy that pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Glad you got it fixed, but if you need to do it again you should tighten the screws sequentially all the way around the skimmer so as not to pinch the one side together. For example if the top is tightened all way down then the bottom screws wont be enough to pull the bottom flanges of the skimmer together to seal properly. Like tightening the lug nuts on you car, move in a star pattern and partially tightening the screws so the gasket gets even pressure on it. And really, enjoy that pool.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine did that also. There was water trapped in between the hollow housing that froze and cracked from ice expansion last winter. Had to replace it FYI. Also I like the butterfly gaskets that shield the pool wall.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UHF4Z0/...GXD5TXEHGM502T
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale