Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best CYA level for Southeast NC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best CYA level for Southeast NC?

Now that our pool is in maintenance mode (looks great) I am trying to decide if I should raise the CYA level a little for the upcoming sunny hot days to make it easier to keep the free chlorine level stable. I can keep it anywhere from 30 to 50 so what will make my life the easiest? I did add borates recently-looking forward to see the difference when it warms up enough to swim.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    18 by 36 in ground vinyl liner pool, hayward sand filter and pump, 22,000 gallons, TF-100 test kit with speed stir (I highly recommend the speed stir), Dolphin S-300

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best CYA level for Southeast NC?

40 minimum for your region, in my opinion. Start there and if you're losing more than 2 ppm per day, bump it up higher. Does your pool get full sun all day or some shade?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Full sun until late afternoon. We aren't losing much yet but I would expect that to change with summer use.
    18 by 36 in ground vinyl liner pool, hayward sand filter and pump, 22,000 gallons, TF-100 test kit with speed stir (I highly recommend the speed stir), Dolphin S-300

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with JV. Start with 40 and then bump up to 50 if you lose more than 2-3 ppm daily.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in SE VA and my pool gets full sun. I'm in the process of bumping mine up to 60~65. After 3 years of experimenting with 30 then 40 to 50 I found 60 to be the sweet spot. Just follow the chart and you'll be good to go. My loss will be 3 to 3.5 during the worst heat/sun conditions, excluding heavy bather load.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm in the Piedmont Area.Before switching to SWG.I've always kept my between 40-50.In full sun.No shade

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit