Please Validate my Calculations for going on vacation

Alwayswantedapool

Platinum Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
York SC
I will be out of town for 6 days and trying to calculate how much trichlor Tabs I will need to put in the pool. I also plan on bringing the pool up to Slam level (24 PPM) just prior to leaving.

I will start off with current measurements.
FC 8 (this is the current level that I am maintaining FC)
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 50
CYA 60

As of right now, pool on average is consuming 2 PPM of chlorine per day, so that means I will need 12 PPM while I am gone. Looking at pool math, a 8 oz tab (I think that is what a tab weighs) will increase FC by 1.8. So with the requirement of 12 PPM while I am gone, I am going to need 7 tabs which will increase my FC by 12.6 and CYA by 7.7.

Does that sound right?

I will be running the pump on its regular schedule while I am gone and will make sure between the skimmer and the side drain that they are at about 50 / 50.

I was thinking I could use cal-hypo since I could add a bunch of calcium with no negative effects but looks like that only comes in a powder.

Thanks for looking, greatly appreciated.

You are missing the point that as you raise the FC higher above the normal level for a given CYA value, you will actually lose more ppm to the sun.

How are you going to add the tablets? Do you have a cover?

That sounds like a great plan, but I am not sure you will need that many pucks but like you said, it is not going to hurt anything as you know exactly what you are adding :)

If your raise to SLAM level of 24ppm, how long will it take to return.. I would say the first 48 hours you will be down to about 14ppm, by day 4, probably down to 10...

With that in mind you may be able to get away with 3 pucks adding 5.5 fc and 3.3 CYA, I am not the math wizard though so that is a guestimate :)

I was going to put the tabs in a couple of the Chlorine floaters and nope, no cover.

I get that bumping it up to slam will only give me probably a couple of days, 3 tops I would guess, counting on the tabs covering from there.

I have never used tabs, how fast do they dissolve? Will the last 6 days?

In a floater, they dissolve pretty slowly.

I think I would just get 1 floater and put 3-4 tabs in it. When you get home, you can pull them out and let them dry if you like to save them for later.

Be sure there is nowhere the floater can get stuck up against the vinyl (like a ladder) as it could fade the liner due to the acidic nature of the tablets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.