Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please Validate my Calculations for going on vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Validate my Calculations for going on vacation

I will be out of town for 6 days and trying to calculate how much trichlor Tabs I will need to put in the pool. I also plan on bringing the pool up to Slam level (24 PPM) just prior to leaving.

I will start off with current measurements.
    FC 8 (this is the current level that I am maintaining FC)
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 50
    CYA 60

As of right now, pool on average is consuming 2 PPM of chlorine per day, so that means I will need 12 PPM while I am gone. Looking at pool math, a 8 oz tab (I think that is what a tab weighs) will increase FC by 1.8. So with the requirement of 12 PPM while I am gone, I am going to need 7 tabs which will increase my FC by 12.6 and CYA by 7.7.

Does that sound right?

I will be running the pump on its regular schedule while I am gone and will make sure between the skimmer and the side drain that they are at about 50 / 50.

I was thinking I could use cal-hypo since I could add a bunch of calcium with no negative effects but looks like that only comes in a powder.

Thanks for looking, greatly appreciated.
    Mark, Pool: 30,000 gallon, IG Vinyl, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Taylor k-2006 Test kit with speedstir. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.
    Hot Tub: Hot Spring Grandee 450 Gallons, Ace System (Salt water Chlorine Generator) Dichlor / Bleach method. Taylor K1766 Salt Test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Validate my Calculations for going on vacation

You are missing the point that as you raise the FC higher above the normal level for a given CYA value, you will actually lose more ppm to the sun.

How are you going to add the tablets? Do you have a cover?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That sounds like a great plan, but I am not sure you will need that many pucks but like you said, it is not going to hurt anything as you know exactly what you are adding

If your raise to SLAM level of 24ppm, how long will it take to return.. I would say the first 48 hours you will be down to about 14ppm, by day 4, probably down to 10...

With that in mind you may be able to get away with 3 pucks adding 5.5 fc and 3.3 CYA, I am not the math wizard though so that is a guestimate
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I was going to put the tabs in a couple of the Chlorine floaters and nope, no cover.

I get that bumping it up to slam will only give me probably a couple of days, 3 tops I would guess, counting on the tabs covering from there.

I have never used tabs, how fast do they dissolve? Will the last 6 days?
    Mark, Pool: 30,000 gallon, IG Vinyl, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Taylor k-2006 Test kit with speedstir. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.
    Hot Tub: Hot Spring Grandee 450 Gallons, Ace System (Salt water Chlorine Generator) Dichlor / Bleach method. Taylor K1766 Salt Test.

5. Back To Top    #5

In a floater, they dissolve pretty slowly.

I think I would just get 1 floater and put 3-4 tabs in it. When you get home, you can pull them out and let them dry if you like to save them for later.

Be sure there is nowhere the floater can get stuck up against the vinyl (like a ladder) as it could fade the liner due to the acidic nature of the tablets.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Why are you thinking just 3 - 4 tabs? Just want to follow your logic.
    Great point on the floater, it will most likely end up at the steps or swim out if I don't tie it down someway.

7. Back To Top    #7

Really so you only buy 1 floater. You are over thinking it
    Jason, TFP Moderator