Sep 14, 2015
Grapevine Texas
Hello all,
You helped me with some issues last summer, when I went through my first SLAM...since then...awesome pool water!

Now, I have an issue. I am putting a photo in which may help.

I let my FC level slip down to 3 I just neglected to test it and noticed algae forming on the walls. I immediately started the SLAM procedure as soon as I did the water went completely green.
(One nasty side effect, I have bad staining on my liner. These are iron stains that keep coming back, and I keep ordering ascorbic acid but they continually return) I think the SLAM procedure may worsen this issue.

Anyways here are my readings. The green tint in the water isn't clearing up which puzzles me given the readings.

05/22 7:00 pm
FC = 16.5
CC = .5
CYA = 70
PH = 7.0

I added 4 jugs of trusty Wal Mart bleach the 8.25% (I think) to bring the FC back up to my SLAM level of 28ppm.

This morning:

05/23 7:30 am
FC = 33
CC = .5

This afternoon, 05/23 2:30 pm

FC = 37.5
CC = .5

No change in green tint to water at all.

I should also mention yesterday morning 05/22 I pulled the filter cartridges they were dirty and green, and completely scrubbed/cleaned them off and restarted the filter again. It's running 23 hours per day.

Thank you for such a great resource full of knowledgeable and caring people!

Hope you all can help again.

Attachments

• 20160521_200931.jpg
    20160521_200931.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hello again Scott. I suspect you are correct in that the SLAM FC will accentuate the reaction of metal and chlorine. Of course we have to remember that treating algae is one thing and metals (green tinting/staining) is another. Since you have algae, you'll need to continue/complete the SLAM first, then re-treat and adjust for the metal. Pools react differently sometimes based on the amount of iron/copper content in the water with the chlorine. So the higher the FC, the tendency to see more metals react in the water via color changing and/or staining. I would recommend completing the SLAM and pass the 3 criteria first. While that's happening, consider the sequestrant you will be using and have that ready to add when you begin to adjust chemicals post-SLAM. If you can't remove the metal-filled water with a fresh source, then unfortunately adding sequestrant periodically will be a routine part of your pool management.

that is a nice shade of green isn't it :)

You have metals in your pool. you have dissipated all the metals off your liner and that is why your water turned green, you can do a couple things :) but need to answer a couple questions.

How did the metal get in the pool? iron from well, frog, copper, if you know the source and you have stopped that source your good.

1. this is your best option if you can do it.. while all the metal is in the water and not on the liner, empty as much water out as you can and replace it with non metal water.

or

2. keep doing what your doing, pass the OCLT except you will have nice clear green water and then let your FC drift down to normal.. you will need to add sequestrant to keep the metal from staining.

others will be along to help some more :)

Thanks Pat, I ordered the 'pink stuff' Jack's Magic last night.

Question: Are you saying the tint in the water may be caused by the iron and not the algae?
I see no visual evidence of algae and as you can see from my readings last night, my FC level overnight actually went UP not down. By mistake, I kept my SWG running overnight at 50% which I suspect raised the FC Level.

Thanks very much

- - - Updated - - -

sorry! I replied too soon!
I am not sure how metal keeps getting in the water. (it is definitely iron because ascorbic acid removes it immediately).
It seems to be worse when it rains.
But I have to add some water off my garden hose once in a while just to keep my level up. So I assume it's in my city water.

Take some tap water down to leslies and have them test it for metals, that will tell you if its in the tap water.. :)

Thanks, I will do that.

My clue was looking at my water it's actually crystal clear. But the liner is completely stained and the water is tinted green.
I probably caused my own issue by starting the SLAM for the (obviously minor) algae issue without adding 'Jack's Magic the pink stuff' to the water first.
I simply didn't add the metal product that I should have and it seems like I just made the issue worse.

I really have a metal issue, not an algae issue is what it seems like. Also, my FC level never got much below 3 so I probably overreacted :(

Taking care of the metals in the water is going to be an ongoing maintenance issue.

Taking care of the metals in the water is going to be an ongoing maintenance issue.
I'm afraid so. :) Earlier I mentioned the algae because I thought you saw a little and were still in SLAM mode. By now you probably know that if you are in doubt, just do an OCLT. But there's no doubt you have some metal to deal with. Hopefully when the FC sinks it will make management a little better for you.

Hi,
No I have been following TFP standards to a 'T' and the only thing I use (I know Leslie's hates me now hahah) is good old WalMart bleach. Literally my water (had) never been better except for the ongoing metal issue. I know it's iron...but have been spending way too much on ascorbic acid every few months.

Now it dawned on me what the potential cause of this is. The people that used to live in this house had the bright idea to build that rock waterfall you see in my photo as well as all the other rocks around the pool. They were building a house across the street and got literally tons of 'free' rocks. Yes, however....they weren't very bright and those 'free' rocks are covered with iron dust. They weren't smart enough to seal the rocks. I think you can buy some spray of some kind to seal them. Otherwise, what happens when it rains out that iron from those rocks just eventually seeps into my pool water, hence causing the metal issues over and over and over.

I could probably have the rocks tested but I'm fairly certain that's the source of the iron in the water.

Regardless, my liner is now horribly stained (probably worse than it's ever been) I am waiting for my Jack's Magic pink stuff and will probably order even more once I go through the entire metal treatment, get rid of the stains, and just be sure to use that stuff weekly in ongoing maintenance so this never comes back again.

Ugh! But thank you everyone for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all,
05/22 7:00 pm
FC = 16.5
+4 jugs of trusty Wal Mart bleach the 8.25% (I think) to bring the FC back up to my SLAM level of 28ppm.

05/23 7:30 am
FC = 33

05/23 2:30 pm
FC = 37.5

Since no one else pointed this out, I will mention one thing. You were at FC 16.5, and added what you thought was enough bleach to go to 28. When you measured 12 hours later, you were actually at 33 (so maybe you overshot a bit?). However, you don't mention adding any more chlorine, but several hours later you measured FC of 37.5. Something doesn't add up there, chlorine doesn't materialize on its own. Are you still running your SWG during the SLAM? Even so, adding 4.5ppm in just a handful of hours seems like a stretch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.