Need advice on painting a pool

Apr 17, 2014
United States
Thanks for all the posts here. I've managed to run my pool for 5 years now.

This time around on opening, the pool water was a little more dirty than normal. I drained the pool. I'm going to quick fix some patches. And was thinking of repainting the pool. The plaster is not an option since it's opening time and I'm guessing all the pool guys are going to be super busy now.

From what I've read. It seems that epoxy is the way to go. I've watched the videos on how to prep the pool with TSP and acid etc. I have some questions though:

1. If using an epoxy which has two cans that you mix. Do you recommend using a primer. All the manufactures mention that primer is not required but other sites say you should use a primer. I currently have a white plaster and was thinking of going with a sky blue epoxy. If the paint chips the paint below will be white and I'm wondering if painting with a blue primer would help here?

2. There are so many different prices/brands for epoxy paint. Which brand is recommended and what can I expect to pay per gallon when buying about 6-8 gallons at the same time.

3. There are some epoxy that you mix one quart to one gallon and other 2 gallon kits where you mix one gallon with another gallon. I don't quite understand what the difference is between the two.

4. Any idea what my pool is. I've always thought it is plaster. Does it look like it has been painted before?IMG_20160523_143844.jpg

Why do you think you need to paint it?

That looks like plaster and I would not recommend painting it. The paint/epoxy seems to end up being an every 2-3 year requirement.

Save your money and get it replastered if the cosmetics bother you.

Over the years parts of pool were fixed/patched with cement and they have not been color matched with the rest of the pool.

If I want to just clean the pool. Do you guys recommend 1. Chlorine with a scrub (if so, will 12.5% be fine)? 2. TSP (what mix)? 3. or acid wash 1 part and 1 part water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.