Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Smoked Baby back ribs with grilled corn

1. Back To Top    #1

Smoked Baby back ribs with grilled corn

So, my "usual" Sunday is either smoking something or grilling something for dinner, yesterday I decided on some baby backs and whole corn:

1st I start by removing the membrane from the back of the rack, they say if you're good, you can remove the whole piece all together:

With ribs, I usually dry rub them 1st and smoke them, then add BBQ sauce, so for my proprietary rub (LoL) I use garlic salt, garlic powder, black pepper, old bay, onion powder and ground ginger (I forgot to add it to the picture):

Then, I trim a little fat from the rack:

Next, we add the dry spices:

I like to "brine" my whole corn:

Then, the ribs are off to the smoker!!! I use mesquite lump charcoal for the heat and pieces of cherry wood for the flavor:

About once an hour I brush the ribs with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar:

Getting there!!!

After about 3 hours I wrap it in foil and leave it in the smoker for about 2 more hours, so this was after being in the foil for 2 hours:

Then, I baste it up with some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and grill the rack on the direct heat for a good 5-10 minutes basting as needed:

So, here we have the final product with my favorite beer!!!!

Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Smoked Baby back ribs with grilled corn

mmmmmm, mmmmmmm, good
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice thread.

I just started up my Big Green Egg smoker today at noon. I have family over so I got 3 racks (~12 pounds) of St. Louis Style ribs. I trimmed the ribs (basically just removed the membrane and cut the racks to fit into my upright rib-rack), patted them dry and then did a thin film of dijon mustard & avocado oil on the surface. Then I hit it with my rub (dark brown sugar, paprika, garlic/onion powder, ginger, black pepper & a pinch of salt) and let soak in fridge for 2 hours.

Got my smoker up to 250F and the rack is in....Plan is to do 2 to 2-1/2 hours in the smoke, then pull the ribs and foil wrap them. Then I let them cook for another 2-1/2 hours in foil and see where we are at. I don't usually do the BBQ sauce slather at the end and just let folks choose if they want sauce or not at the dinner table. I honestly just preferred the smoke meat with the flavorful bark and will just dip in some BBQ sauce if I feel like it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks good!
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Final product -

The meat practically fell off the bones. Lots of good flavor and the perfect amount of smoke & sweetness. 12lbs of ribs all gone. Many happy faces and lots of full bellies.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

OP there is art in what you did there. Not as easy as you made it look. I bet they tasted GOOD!
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

7. Back To Top    #7

I bet JN!!! They look fantastic!!!

Thanks Mark!!! Its funny because, I think if I didn't get into the I.T. field, I definitely would have became a chef! Aside from BBQ'ing, I also enjoy cooking other dishes as well, American, Italian, Irish, Mexican, various Asian dishes.......I literally have pictures of almost everything I cook!! LoL
    Chris B.

8. Back To Top    #8

You guys just made up my mind.... ribs for Memorial day!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Beautiful!! I bet they were so tasty!
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

10. Back To Top    #10

LoL!!

I'm thinking about a beer can chicken, or maybe a tri-tip.....heck, why not both!!!!! LoL
    Chris B.

11. Back To Top    #11

Wish me luck...I have an untrimmed 12lbs beef brisket to smoke It's going to require a 12hr smoke and I've already gotten plenty of warnings that they are super easy to dry out / over cook and turn into shoe leather. Going to be a major challenge
    Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah, I've smoked a brisket only a few times....I would recommend a digi thermometer to ensure you know exactly where you're at!
    Chris B.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have to try that. I got a Traeger Grill.. smokes at 150 ish. then can turn it up to high to finish...

Not sure why I am scared to try ribs like this... I do the country ribs all the time...
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bakerboy View Post
    Yeah, I've smoked a brisket only a few times....I would recommend a digi thermometer to ensure you know exactly where you're at!
    Yes. I just got one a few weeks back. I need to install it today. It's a dual probe unit - one probe monitors the smoker temp the other probe monitors food temp. It also comes with a 2nd remote unit so I can monitor from inside the house.
    Matt

15. Back To Top    #15

Nice!!

Got a link to check it out?
    Chris B.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bakerboy View Post
    Nice!!

Got a link to check it out?
    Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer - Dual Probe - Remote BBQ, Smoker, Grill, Oven, Meat Thermometer - Monitors Food From Up To 300 Feet Away

Amazon.com: Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer - Dual Probe - Remote BBQ, Smoker, Grill, Oven, Meat Thermometer - Monitors Food From Up To 300 Feet Away: Barbecue Thermometers: Kitchen Dining
    Matt

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks!
    Chris B.

18. Back To Top    #18

This article actually has some good pointers for those wondering what to do:

Here’s how to cook seriously good barbecue on a simple charcoal grill - The Washington Post
    Chris B.