Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH and Vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

pH and Vacation

Plan to be away for a couple weeks and want to know if the pool can handle the rising pH. I am not worried about the chlorine because that is supplied by an SWG, but the SWG does cause the pH to rise. Generally I add 12 to 14 ounces of muriatic acid every two to three days to keep the pH in range. For vacation I was figuring on dropping the pH to 7.2, which should give me 5 to 7 days of pH below 8, if I'm lucky. Will my plaster pool be ok if the pH rises above that for about a week? Thanks.
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH and Vacation

That's a lot of pH rise you have to manage every 2-3 days. Is your plaster new? Also, what is your current TA and CH? That might give us more options.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, plaster pool. Plaster is a year old this month. Current numbers:
    FC: 7.0
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.8 (added muriatic acid, so this should be down)
    TA: 70
    CH: 440
    CYA: 80
    Salt: 3600
    Temp: 84
    CSI: -0.01
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, I was looking to see if your TA was higher which might warrant some quick "acid/aeration" tricks to lower TA and help keep pH from rising so fast. You still could lower TA a little more to 50-60. That might help reduce the rate of pH increase. I was also going to suggest using a few tablets for their acidity value, but your CYA is already on the high end.

So in the end, you might try to lower TA a little more before you leave, but then drop pH to the 7.0-7.2 range just before walking out the door. Even if your pH rises to 8.2, it's not over the 0.6 threshold for scale, so a lot won't happen in just a few days.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hadn't thought to lower TA, but I might try that this week. Since my CSI is near 0, I figured things would be OK.

6. Back To Top    #6

I was checking the CSI as well based on your last tests. You have some wiggle room either way, so you're in a good position right now. Good luck!