Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Want to install overflow outlet. What concerns??

1. Back To Top    #1

Want to install overflow outlet. What concerns??

Would love to put on an overflow outlet. What's involved? How scary is it to cut hole through side of pool and liner?? What tools??
    Is this something to sub out?

deweypip
    24x54 Sharkline Matrix
    Hayward 1 hp Powermax single speed pump
    Hayward ec50ac DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Want to install overflow outlet. What concerns??

You could always filter to waste to drain water. I've heard of people cutting additional holes in their wall for returns, so I'm sure it's possible. You are however added a weak spot for potential rust issues down the road as you are trimming the galvanization away. Although they have galvanization solutions to strengthen the coating.
    Above Ground 30' by 54" 22,600
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Dual Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    TF100 Test Kit
    BBB ALL the way!
    Questions about pool care? Visit Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Do you have a skimmer? If so perhaps you could drill a whole through the back of the skimmer just slightly higher than the ideal water line. then it would just be a matter of some tubing or PVC plumbing to where ever you want the water to go.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually thought of drilling a hole in the skimmer. There is actually a flat spot where I could get a 1" hole. That would probably be the best plan.
    24x54 Sharkline Matrix
    Hayward ec50ac DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

May I ask why you are looking to do this? Is it because you have a DE filter and you lose DE? I have a DE too. I actually don't mind the excess water. The only thing it doesn't do is skim the top of the water. Once July gets here, I'm forced to throe the hose in.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Just drill a hole in the skimmer body and screw in a bulkhead fitting. Then attach a vinyl hose and trail it off to wherever you want it to drain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

With all the rain this Spring, a few times I had to pump out water. Water was actually overflowing through my skimmer and landing right next to pool base. Not looking to eat out area around base of pool. Overflow fitting which would lead water away from pool, and not having to pump out pool would be "piece of mind", especially when out of town.

Richard320---I think this is the way to go. Thanks all.
    24x54 Sharkline Matrix
    Hayward ec50ac DE filter