Can't take pump cover off to clean.

May 21, 2016
Berkeley
Hello
I was wondering if anyone knows of where I could purchase a wrench that would be designed to give me leverage to remove my pump strainer cover. I know there are some out there, however, I am having problems finding a place that sales the one I need. I have a Hayward Hi-Performance Self-Priming Pump. It is a 1.5 HP Motor 2 speed. The paperwork I have says it is part # SPX5500DL Strainer Cover. So far I get my husband to take it off, however since he works a lot, I have to wait for his assistance and I prefer to just get it done myself. If anyone knows what wrench would work with the model I have I would appreciate the information.

Thank you, VP

I don't think there is a specific wrench for that strainer lid. Kind of sounds like it was put on too tight. You can attempt you loosen it by turning on the pump and then attempt to twist the cover loose - do NOT lift the cover up, just loosen it. Possibly "bumping" the two knobs on the outer side with the palms of your hands will help.

If that works, then turn the pump off and remove the lid. Before reinstalling it, clean the o-ring and mating surfaces, lube the o-ring and put the lid back on. Tighten the lid snuggly - not overly tight - turn the pump on and check the lid area for leaks. Tighten slightly if needed. Mine tends to need the second tightening (just to snug it up) as the o-ring compresses from the suction of the pump being on. After I did this (not over-tightening), next time I removed it it came off easily (without the pump on).

Turning the pump on will make it harder to take the cover off. A couple gentle taps with a rubber mallet in direction of rotation to take the cover off might help. Also before you put it back on lubricate the seals with silicone grease to make it easier to use next time.

I appreciate your thoughts. Have tried everything and still can't get it off. There is another pool place that is about an hour away, I may go there and see what I can find out.

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I will try that. Appreciate your time and input.

I believe the lid in question is a two piece design - an outer black "ring" and an inner clear plastic disk. The o-ring is fitted on the inner disk. With pump on, the inner disk can sometimes be pulled slightly down because of the suction and compression of the o-ring. This can allow easier loosening of the outer "ring".

Did you try rotating the cover while the pump is running? For some pump designs this actually works pretty well, including my own pump. If you haven't tried it yet, please do.

I have a pump that uses this lid. It is a bear to take off and in my case, a knuckle buster if I'm not careful.

My pump is unfortunately unsecured so I have to be sure the pump motor area is braced against the filter (virtually unmovable) to get the leverage I need.

I lean with both my palms on top and wrap fingers up an into the two handle cavities underneath. Turn clockwise really hard.

When time and "not lost them" occur I also like to use a pair of knit work gloves that have rubber-coated palms/fingers.

I know this post is late. Hopefully is will help someone if searching.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.