Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't take pump cover off to clean.

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't take pump cover off to clean.

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone knows of where I could purchase a wrench that would be designed to give me leverage to remove my pump strainer cover. I know there are some out there, however, I am having problems finding a place that sales the one I need. I have a Hayward Hi-Performance Self-Priming Pump. It is a 1.5 HP Motor 2 speed. The paperwork I have says it is part # SPX5500DL Strainer Cover. So far I get my husband to take it off, however since he works a lot, I have to wait for his assistance and I prefer to just get it done myself. If anyone knows what wrench would work with the model I have I would appreciate the information.

Thank you, VP

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Can't take pump cover off to clean.

I don't think there is a specific wrench for that strainer lid. Kind of sounds like it was put on too tight. You can attempt you loosen it by turning on the pump and then attempt to twist the cover loose - do NOT lift the cover up, just loosen it. Possibly "bumping" the two knobs on the outer side with the palms of your hands will help.

If that works, then turn the pump off and remove the lid. Before reinstalling it, clean the o-ring and mating surfaces, lube the o-ring and put the lid back on. Tighten the lid snuggly - not overly tight - turn the pump on and check the lid area for leaks. Tighten slightly if needed. Mine tends to need the second tightening (just to snug it up) as the o-ring compresses from the suction of the pump being on. After I did this (not over-tightening), next time I removed it it came off easily (without the pump on).
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Turning the pump on will make it harder to take the cover off. A couple gentle taps with a rubber mallet in direction of rotation to take the cover off might help. Also before you put it back on lubricate the seals with silicone grease to make it easier to use next time.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

I appreciate your thoughts. Have tried everything and still can't get it off. There is another pool place that is about an hour away, I may go there and see what I can find out.

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I will try that. Appreciate your time and input.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I believe the lid in question is a two piece design - an outer black "ring" and an inner clear plastic disk. The o-ring is fitted on the inner disk. With pump on, the inner disk can sometimes be pulled slightly down because of the suction and compression of the o-ring. This can allow easier loosening of the outer "ring".
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you try rotating the cover while the pump is running? For some pump designs this actually works pretty well, including my own pump. If you haven't tried it yet, please do.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater