Raypak Electronic Ignition - Fail To Light

Effers

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Warrenton, VA
Heater is Raypak P-R406A-EN-C (natural gas)

I opened the pool about two weeks ago and fired up the heater. Took about 20 seconds for it to light and ran well for several hours. Did this several times of the last two weeks, Friday 20 May being the last. Over the weekend we had a good amount of rain so the pool was closed. Go out this morning, did my normal pool duties (testing and cleanup). Went to go fire the heater up for the kids this afternoon, nothing. I can hear the unit clicking/sparking in cycles of three, but won't fire up. I can smell a faint trace of gas but this seems to be normal from previous startups. This goes on for over an hour. I turn the unit off, take the door off and blow around where the ignitor is (don't know why but seem like a good troubleshooting step :D ). Same result. I cycled the unit several times, nothing. There are no error codes on the panel.

I trouble google for videos of how to clean the ignitor out but really cant's find anything of value.

Wife is giving me the serious stink eye, especially since the weather will be in the 80's this week. Please save me from the woman's wrath. Thanks!

Carefully try this. First make sure that when it says it's sparking and you hear it that it didn't actually light the pilot but the system failed to acknowledge it. You should be able to see the pilot below on the right when you look up under near the burners. If you do not see it lit, you can carefully use a long BBQ lighter and while it is sparking, light it with the BBQ lighter. Be careful though because if you hold the lighter there too long it will cause the system to think the pilot is lit and it will open the main portion of the gas valve and you could have an undesired effect.

Seeing you have used it several times in the last week, I would not suspect spider webs.

Pool Clown / ps0303 you guys are awesome. As Pool Clown stated, my terminology is bad. Used the correct word as was able to pull some good info, enough for me to remove and clean off and touch up with sandpaper. Reinstalled and still did not fire up. Used the BBQ lighter and BAM, we got fire!!!! Saved my butt again. Thank you, you are awesome.:rockon:

Side note, I just ordered a replacement Raypak. I think I have some serious blockage in the pipes, possible scaling. I am only increasing pool temp about 1 degree per two hours. Plus the bottom of the unit is rusting out, not sure how it is still standing. PS0303 you responded to a previous post for thoughts between Pentair and Raypak. Decided to replace like with like, fewer headaches with plumbing and gas.

When I pull the old one out, what parts would you recommend I salvage. For sure the control board, anything else.

As with anything used when you pull any parts you might not be sure how good they are. Depending on the exact model and how old it is will determine if any of the parts are close to the same as the new unit.

As for the pilot, I suspect that it just needed a boost with a lighter as maybe the spark generator is on the way out or it just was wet from the storms you had pass thru. I've seen them where after you light it with the BBQ lighter all is good and it even lights on its own after that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.