Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flagstone Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Flagstone Coping

Seal it or leave it natural? It's Oklahoma flagstone, a super absorbant sandstone. The just finished the top of our deck so I would like to do it today or tomorrow before they put in the coping.

Anyone have any preferences? We can't decide.
    7,500 In-Ground gunite / marble plaster. VS-3050 & VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump. Rainbow-inline chlorinator (not even used for vacations). Pentair 520 cartridge filter. Paramount Clear O3 generator. SunTouch Controls. Pentair Legend Platinum.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Hillsborough, NC

Re: Flagstone Coping

Seal it. If it starts to deteriorate it's a big mess, and if you ever decide to switch to a SWG you'll need it sealed anyway.

3. Back To Top    #3

Tucson, AZ

Re: Flagstone Coping

I have had flagstone coping for over 10 years and have never sealed it. Unless you put an acrylic sealant, which will make it shiny, you will always be resealing. You really dont gain much except some sore muscles by sealing. The sealing will buy you a few minutes to clean up spills. I have never had a salt pool, but I agree, that you may need something to protect the flagstone.
    25K gallon IG pool/spa, Pentair Sandfilter, 400K heater, 3hp pool pump, 1hp feature pump, Polaris Caretaker inground floor cleaner, Easy8/Intellitouch controller.