Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Method for Testing CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Method for Testing CYA?

Hi all - I don't have a T-100 (I had previously bought another and am not yet ready to replace it). Anyway, I need to test my CYA level -- any recommendations? Are strips reliable? Thanks!
    / 24k Gal, 18x36 Freeform IG Vinyl Saltwater / Sta-Rite MPRA6E-205L 1HP Pump / Sta-Rite System:3 Cartridge Filter / IC-40 SWCG / Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner / TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir / Taylor K-1766 Salt Test /
    Useful Links: Recommended Levels / SLAM / FC/CYA Chart / Test Kits Compared / Edit Your Signature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Method for Testing CYA?

Definitely no test strips or pool store testing. You can order just the CYA testing HERE for about $17 if that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, I'll probably just get the full TF100.

/ 24k Gal, 18x36 Freeform IG Vinyl Saltwater / Sta-Rite MPRA6E-205L 1HP Pump / Sta-Rite System:3 Cartridge Filter / IC-40 SWCG / Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner / TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir / Taylor K-1766 Salt Test /
    Useful Links: Recommended Levels / SLAM / FC/CYA Chart / Test Kits Compared / Edit Your Signature

4. Back To Top    #4

Even better!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by FattyLumpkin View Post
    Thank you, I'll probably just get the full TF100.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    You made the right choice by waiting. The TF100 has been upgraded to include a small bottle of the CYA standard solution. That way you can test it and see for yourself what you need to do so you see 50 ppm CYA using the 50 ppm standard. How far to hold it, how to hold it, even, how bright the light has to be. Everything. When you find just the right combination of factors so you get the right reading, you're golden. Then you just repeat that on your pool water and get an accurate CYA reading.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You made the right choice by waiting. The TF100 has been upgraded to include a small bottle of the CYA standard solution. That way you can test it and see for yourself what you need to do so you see 50 ppm CYA using the 50 ppm standard. How far to hold it, how to hold it, even, how bright the light has to be. Everything. When you find just the right combination of factors so you get the right reading, you're golden. Then you just repeat that on your pool water and get an accurate CYA reading.
    Really? I would love to get the CYA standard solution, just to verify my own testing. The CYA test is so subjective and a known control would be helpful.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ocgasman View Post
    Really? I would love to get the CYA standard solution, just to verify my own testing. The CYA test is so subjective and a known control would be helpful.
    Yes, really. It's R-7065. Two sizes available. TFTestkits.net
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!