SWG the best answer?

JoeRJGR

Jun 19, 2013
Freehold NJ
Hey guys,

Wasnt sure exactly where to post this, but we have a beach house and leave our pool for several days at a time during the summer and at least 1 week a year. I hate to keep asking my neighbors to look in on the pool, so I was thinking a SWG would be the best solution. Everyone I know loves them bt Im just wondering is anyone here has used them and then switched back to chlorine....again, the only reason I am think ing about this is so we can leav the pool unattended often.

Thanks

One of the major benefits of having a SWG is being able to go away and have a less chances of the pool developing problems due to a lack of chlorine.

Another option if you want to stay with liquid chlorine is adding a Stenner pump to dose the chlorine. This will have the same benefit as a SWG of being able to leave the pool alone.

If you choose to go the SWG route, get one rated for 60k gallons.

That is exactly the reason I installed a SWG before my pool was in, I needed a way to easily manage FC while I was away for 2 to 4 weeks.. My son and wife can both test the pool for levels if needed but it has been perfect the times I have been gone..

I have my FC a little higher than recommended for SWG (about the same for non SWG) and my TA is lower and I keep my PH lower, this tends to run my water for a vinyl liner pool on the lower side of the CSI scale, I am adjusting my CH up to bring the CSI closer to -0.3..

It can be done but testing while you are there is key to being able to leave.. yes I am using more of the SWG cell to keep the FC higher but that's what I bought it for, so if I only get 4 years out of a cell, I have accomplished what I wanted to be able to do..

I hope this helps :)

Thanks for the replies...I totally get the whole idea of taking care of all your chlorine needs with bleach, but I travel during the week as well and I as usual, I just cant rely on anyone to take care of things the way I want while I am away....Im a little anal...LOL

+1 another one to SWG making life easier with your pool. Not only will I never switch from salt back to bleach I will never have another pool that isn't saltwater. In case you aren't convinced yet. :)

SWG user here. I was just gone for over a month without anyone to look after the chlorine needs of my pool.
No problem whatsoever.

The only people I know of who have reverted from SWG back to chlorine, were those who for some reason, did not like the feel of saltwater. (personally, I cant feel any difference).

My auto injection of acid has given me similar piece of mind in longer than 10 day absences. No where near as critical as an out of wack FC level; but nice to know my ph levels are not redlining while I'm gone, particularly with more frequent auto fill of high ph water during the heat of summer adding to the usual upward creep of my ph levels.

Wow - very impressive, thanks guys...as I mentioned earlier, I am convinced that 99% of the people where I live have no idea about the importance of CYA levels and the relationship to the amount of chlorine needed in their pools. They all go to Leslies how tells everyon their CYA is "30", or dodnt even test for it. Mid way through the year their CYA goes up to 100 or so, but their still maintain FC at 2 - 3 ppm, if they even know. Algae comes, the added hundreds of "junk, blah, blah, blah." They get a SWG installed and Bam! This thing is automatically adjusting the chlorin amount but NOT adding CYA...its like magic...they have no idea why....but its the greatest thing in the world...

I assume the Hayward AQR serious is the way to go? I have heard that one part of the board can get fried after a 4 years but its a cheap fix...correct?

Thanks again guys and girls!

- - - Updated - - -

One more question. the stenner pump doesnt monitor the amopunt of Chl....correct? just adds a measured amount...

The Hayward AQR is a great product. The thing with the board going bad is true. But you dont have to replace the whole board. There is a component called a Current Limiter on the board that you can replace yourself if you can use a soldering iron. If you cant use a soldering iron, then Im sure you may know someone who can.

The current limiter costs about 5$. Cheap fix vs replacing the whole board.
Google 'replacing current limiter' or some such term and you can see how it's done. YouTube has videos about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You couldn't pry my SWG from my hands. In fact, recently my first one died and I ordered a new one right away. Especially with big pools like we have!

You might want to look into the Circupool line. If you look at the output of the different brands, for a large pool you'll see where the Circupool 60 is probably what you want. I have the RJ-60+ mainly because Discount Salt Pool sold it to me for the price of the regular RJ-60.

Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

Understood, I'm just saying I have never had to add acid to my pool becasue of high PH is that an issue with SWG? if soI'll look into the sense and dispense hayward system. There was aguys selling a brand new one on Craigslist but I didnt think I needed all that...

It varies. Some people will float up to 7.8 and stabilize. I, on the other hand, have to make weekly additions. I'm working on lowering my TA more (I'm at 80 now to see if that works. If I get to 70 and still have swings, I'm going to go back to 50ppm borates.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have a positive impression of saltwater pools. From my perspective, the salt eats things up, and you've still got chlorine in the pool, and you may well end up needing to maintain a stenner pump to auto feed acid. I'd rather cut out the middle man and just add chlorine directly, but I'm still somewhat new to this, and I don't travel a lot so I won't be away a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.