I have recently been converted to the TFPC method of pool maintenance. However, I have 100 pounds of cal hypo that I just bought that I am trying to find a way to use. Over the weekend, a friend and long time pool owner told me that if you pour the shock into a five gallon bucket of water and let sit for 10 minutes, the chlorine unbinds from the calcium and other fillers. At that point you can pour just the water into the pool and throw out the remaining hard granules at the bottom of the bucket and the pool will only get the unbound free chlorine, which will not increase the calcium level.
Can someone tell me if this is accurate? I was thinking I could use the rest of my cal hypo this way and just use bleach in the future...thanks!