Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA

I got my new tester today (pool exact Z), i can source the recommended kits here in Cyprus but would struggle to get the reagents imported, so went for the photometer route.

So, i did my tests and double checked these by getting my water retested at a pool store. More or less the same, give or take a little bit.

pH 7.4
    TA 138
    TC 0
    CC 0
    CH 228
    CYA 320!!
    Pool temp is 80 degrees and air temp is 85 degrees but that will rise to above 100 in the coming weeks.

Pool is clear and blue, i am now in the process of draining 80% of my water to get the CYA down to more acceptable levels,

The biggest problem i have here is getting a decent strength bleach, the highest concentration i can get is less than 5%.

I suffered last year with algae and now i know why!

What will be the best way to sanitise my pool? do i stick with 90% trichlor pucks or go another route, calhypo and trichlor or stick with the weak as pee bleach?

Cheers, Mike
    26ft x 13 ft 11000 US gallon inground vinyl lined pool, Triton TR60 sand filter, Pentair 1hp pump, poolexactZ photometer tester, From May to October 90 degrees and above pool in sun all day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA

The best way is bleach or installing a saltwater generator. You've seen how CYA builds up with dichlor and trichlor. It'll be much the same with Cal-hypo leaving behind Calcium. Salt should be easy to find, even in Cyprus.

I'm not sure what kind of dairy industry exists in Cyprus, but they use high-strength Sodium Hypochlorite to sanitize dairy equipment. Check at an ag supply for it, if such places exist.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: High CYA

Thanks for the prompt reply, you've got me thinking now, a friend at works wife works for the government dairy industry, perhaps she'll know.

Last time i had algae i just hammered it with the bleach and it cleared, now i know a little bit more of your ethics i can use TFP to get my perfect pool.
    26ft x 13 ft 11000 US gallon inground vinyl lined pool, Triton TR60 sand filter, Pentair 1hp pump, poolexactZ photometer tester, From May to October 90 degrees and above pool in sun all day