Kreepy krawley sucks...what else can I use that is reasonably priced and effective?

Less than 300 ideally, possibly up to 500. Is a robotic cleaner really worth the money??? E.g. Does it save time and do just as effective a job, if not better than a suction side time consuming manual job ?

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Less than 300 ideally, possibly up to 500. Is a robotic cleaner really worth the money??? E.g. Does it save time and do just as effective a job, if not better than a suction side time consuming manual job ?

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Robotic cleaners are "set-and-forget" devices. You drop them into the pool, start the program and retrieve them when the program ends. A good robot will be at least 90+% effective. Worst case scenario is running a second cycle. Occasionally there will be some dirt remaining, even with the best of cleaners, but it's generally minute amounts (e.g. some reside left in the embossed emblem on my fiberglass stairs, a smattering of dirt on a ledge). Over time you'll notice your pool's quirks and you can start off each cleaning cycle with a minute or two of brushing dirt off those surfaces.

A robot is a HUGE time-saver.

I have "The Pool Cleaner" which is a suction cleaner and have been very satisfied with its performance. It has been very dependable and I've only had to buy one set of tires for it in 5 years of use. I have two issues with, first I have to run the pool extra time and on high-speed to operate it and second, it only sucks dirt and debris off the surfaces. It does not scrub the pool surfaces and my tile line could use an extra scrubbing with all the use our pool gets.

The nice part of having a robot is not having to run the pool pump to clean the pool. When it is time for me to replace my cleaner I will switch to a robot just to save the electricity that I waste to just vacuum my pool. My pool is used for lessons and the cleaning happens during "after hours".

I too had a creepy crawly that the pool installer gave me with the pool, almost worthless.. now I don't know if there are different models or something but its a Kreepy Krawley (not sure on spelling).

I got a robot and its a world of difference. I got a basic random wanderer robot first.. not much better than the creepy crawly... cleaned parts of the pool a dozen times per cycle, and other parts it never even got close to. I took it back and got a good Dolphin robot that "scans" or learns the pool.... now I just drop it in, turn it on, take it out a couple hours later and a spotless pool!! worth the extra money for a good one ... in my opinion anyway, whatever that's worth.

I have had a Kreepy Krauly, The Pool Cleaner (newer model) and Dolphin S300i robot. The Kreepy Krauly worked great but was super finicky. For some reason, the one that came with the house worked better than the new Kreepy Krauly that I purchased. I got frustrated and purchased The Pool Cleaner (newer model) based on the glowing recommendation on this site. The Pool Cleaner turned out to be a bigger piece of junk than the Kreepy Krauly. My guess is that the new model does not work as well as the older model. I recently bought the Dolphin S300i robot, and love it! Wish I had purchased a Dolphin robot when I bought the house.

Robots are expensive, relatively speaking but they do a much better job of cleaning and don't require you to run your pump to clean the pool, which saves money.

Dolphin and Aquabot make some great robots. Hayward has a few good ones too. You'll generally get what your pay for in a robot. With your 18K gallon pool, tlevy, one of the less expensive models might be OK. Go with as much robot as you can afford. I've heard good things about the Dolphin s300i and the Nautilus Plus. Aquabot cleaners get some good reviews as well.

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback. A "get what you pay for" lesson generally holds true for most things - pool cleaners appear to be no exception to that rule!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.