Problem Holding Chlorine

jb1320

Jun 8, 2015
Katy TX
Good Morning,

I've been battling chlorine issues for a while and it seems my pool will not hold chlorine, but luckily no Algae issues that I've seen!

Yesterday- Leslies test
0 Chlorine
CH 320
CYA 80
TA 130
PH 7.5
Pho 1000

I added 2lbs of Powder Power Plus and 1 liter of Phosfree and ran the pump all night.

This morning on TF100kit
0 Chlorine
CH 310
CYA 100
TA 120
PH 7.4
Pho ????

Any suggestions appreciated.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, generally something you really don't need like PhosFree. Phosphates are not your problem, high CYA is. Plus, while yo may not see it, something is in the water consuming the chlorine.

TFPC tenet - Pool Stores can and will sell you most anything....whether it helps or hurts your pool.....they just don't know any better! Logic would then encourage us to stay out of pool stores if we want to manage our water via TFPC. That may come across as being kind of a you-know-what, but it is factual and advice we teach every day. It appears you are trying to mix pool store advice and TFPC advice. It won't work!

So, where do we go if you want to follow TFP - 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

Once you get the CYA to a reasonable number you will need to follow the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Many people think that because they can't see algae that they don't have it. From what you are observing and your test results ie- no FC and a high CYA of 100 it would be pretty likely.

How does the water look?

The water looks great. It was cloudy after adding the chlorine yesterday but looks good today.

- - - Updated - - -

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, generally something you really don't need like PhosFree. Phosphates are not your problem, high CYA is. Plus, while yo may not see it, something is in the water consuming the chlorine.

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

Once you get the CYA to a reasonable number you will need to follow the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

I agree- i'm tired of going to the pool store! What is the best/safest way to drain the pool (pebbletec)? I have a faucet by my pumps, do i just turn that on and connect the water hose with the pump running?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.