Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem Holding Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem Holding Chlorine

Good Morning,

I've been battling chlorine issues for a while and it seems my pool will not hold chlorine, but luckily no Algae issues that I've seen!

Yesterday- Leslies test
    0 Chlorine
    CH 320
    CYA 80
    TA 130
    PH 7.5
    Pho 1000

I added 2lbs of Powder Power Plus and 1 liter of Phosfree and ran the pump all night.

This morning on TF100kit
    0 Chlorine
    CH 310
    CYA 100
    TA 120
    PH 7.4
    Pho ????

Any suggestions appreciated.
    11,000 gallon IG Pebbletec
    Hayward System
    Cartridge Filter

Built 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Problem Holding Chlorine

Many people think that because they can't see algae that they don't have it. From what you are observing and your test results ie- no FC and a high CYA of 100 it would be pretty likely.

How does the water look?
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, generally something you really don't need like PhosFree. Phosphates are not your problem, high CYA is. Plus, while yo may not see it, something is in the water consuming the chlorine.

TFPC tenet - Pool Stores can and will sell you most anything....whether it helps or hurts your pool.....they just don't know any better! Logic would then encourage us to stay out of pool stores if we want to manage our water via TFPC. That may come across as being kind of a you-know-what, but it is factual and advice we teach every day. It appears you are trying to mix pool store advice and TFPC advice. It won't work!

So, where do we go if you want to follow TFP - 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

Once you get the CYA to a reasonable number you will need to follow the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
    • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Many people think that because they can't see algae that they don't have it. From what you are observing and your test results ie- no FC and a high CYA of 100 it would be pretty likely.

How does the water look?

The water looks great. It was cloudy after adding the chlorine yesterday but looks good today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, generally something you really don't need like PhosFree. Phosphates are not your problem, high CYA is. Plus, while yo may not see it, something is in the water consuming the chlorine.

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

Once you get the CYA to a reasonable number you will need to follow the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
    • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

I agree- i'm tired of going to the pool store! What is the best/safest way to drain the pool (pebbletec)? I have a faucet by my pumps, do i just turn that on and connect the water hose with the pump running?
    11,000 gallon IG Pebbletec
    Hayward System
    Cartridge Filter

Built 2015