liner feeling slimy or slick

May 23, 2016
spring hill fl
First of all I am a total noob at this so please forgive me if I ask something stupid or ask for further clarification. My pool is starting to feel slimy. Here are my readings:
FCC .5
PH 6.8
TA 80
CH 25

Just got a low salt light so I imagine that is one part of it. I am cleaning the cell in vinegar as we speak to make sure I'm not getting a false reading. I put the pool up about a month ago and added 135lbs of salt at start up. Filled with city water. My hardness has always been really low but I was told this is a non issue unless too high. I have not done any water drains but have had a lot of rain for a few days. I run my salt system for 7 hours and my filter pump for 8 hours.

Yep, slimy is algae from low FC. Chlorine is set based on CYA level in the pool and the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is important to always keep FC at target level and NEVER let FC drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow. You can use bleach any time to bump up FC if it is getting low due to high swimmer load. PH needs to be between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

I went to my local pool supplier and he suggested chlor brite which is a sanitizer, fresh n clear which is a oxidizing shock and Leslie's brand of conditioner. I also bought a test kit from them that even shows my stabilizer.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and I did buy more salt to add but he said there is no way my pool should be low in salt with 135lb start up within less than a month of set up. but there was a lot of build up on my plates that I cleaned with vinegar.

- - - Updated - - -

since I cleaned the plates I have not gotten a low salt light. I ran the system before I put the chemical in it.

- - - Updated - - -

however he said that a new pool will always flux in readings and that I should go chlorine and keep my salt system off for a few months till the pool stabilizes and then switch back to salt. he said it was hard to start a new pool out with salt at first. sounded weird to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would do well to never take advice or products out of a pool store again.

What test kit do you have that measures CYA? Is it Taylor-14--, something like that? If so what is your CYA?

You are right, sorry I missed that in your signature, my apologies.

e: However, your SWG should be off until you have completed your SLAM anyway. And a SLAM is easier with a CYA of 30ish.

right now I am wondering if my swg is working properly to let my chlorine levels to drop so low. cleaning the plates took care of the low salt light. I also did not have any cya in the pool but that was due to me listening to my father who has the same set up in Indiana and doesn't believe in putting chemicals in his pool

mdsmitty, Mr Bruce is giving you some good advice, so stick with it. You may be a "Noob", but in some ways that's good - no bad (old) pool habits. Starting with TFP is a good thing. Some key reminders:
- SLAM now while your CYA is still low to save on bleach. Regular bleach is what you need to use right now. Nothing else. Give the SWG a break until after the SLAM.
- You need the "FAS-DPD" (powder & drops) test portion to test higher FC levels. You can order it HERE.
- Stick with the basics and principles you read in the TFP Pool School (link below) and you will do fine.
- Definitely stay away from the pool store and their free testing. You will spend way too much on products that will not clear-up your water.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.