Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: liner feeling slimy or slick

1. Back To Top    #1

liner feeling slimy or slick

First of all I am a total noob at this so please forgive me if I ask something stupid or ask for further clarification. My pool is starting to feel slimy. Here are my readings:
    FCC .5
    PH 6.8
    TA 80
    CH 25

Just got a low salt light so I imagine that is one part of it. I am cleaning the cell in vinegar as we speak to make sure I'm not getting a false reading. I put the pool up about a month ago and added 135lbs of salt at start up. Filled with city water. My hardness has always been really low but I was told this is a non issue unless too high. I have not done any water drains but have had a lot of rain for a few days. I run my salt system for 7 hours and my filter pump for 8 hours.
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    635t Intex filter (cartridge)
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: liner feeling slimy or slick

You have algae because your FC is too low. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You need to SLAM your pool. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Which test kit are you using?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Ya' need to get that PH up to 7.2 or better as well. You don't tell us what your CYA level is.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, slimy is algae from low FC. Chlorine is set based on CYA level in the pool and the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is important to always keep FC at target level and NEVER let FC drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow. You can use bleach any time to bump up FC if it is getting low due to high swimmer load. PH needs to be between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Slime is not good. Get a CYA reading, adjust pH, and SLAM before some slick walls degenerate into a green pond.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

how do I get a CYA reading? just bought new strips. using Clorox pool and spa.
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

With a proper test kit See signature.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

8. Back To Top    #8

Well shocked it, cleaned my plates with vinegar, and put stabilizer in the pool to keep from loosing chlorine. Bought a good test kit and all my numbers are good but on the high side except for chlorine which is 10+.
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mdsmitty View Post
    Well shocked it, cleaned my plates with vinegar, and put stabilizer in the pool to keep from loosing chlorine. Bought a good test kit and all my numbers are good but on the high side except for chlorine which is 10+.
    Could you be more specific on the red parts?

10. Back To Top    #10

I went to my local pool supplier and he suggested chlor brite which is a sanitizer, fresh n clear which is a oxidizing shock and Leslie's brand of conditioner. I also bought a test kit from them that even shows my stabilizer.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and I did buy more salt to add but he said there is no way my pool should be low in salt with 135lb start up within less than a month of set up. but there was a lot of build up on my plates that I cleaned with vinegar.

- - - Updated - - -

since I cleaned the plates I have not gotten a low salt light. I ran the system before I put the chemical in it.

- - - Updated - - -

however he said that a new pool will always flux in readings and that I should go chlorine and keep my salt system off for a few months till the pool stabilizes and then switch back to salt. he said it was hard to start a new pool out with salt at first. sounded weird to me.
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

You would do well to never take advice or products out of a pool store again.

What test kit do you have that measures CYA? Is it Taylor-14--, something like that? If so what is your CYA?

12. Back To Top    #12

ok now things are looking up hopefully
    th 250
    tc 5
    fc 3
    ph 7.8
    ta 120
    satbalizer 50
    I know the stabilizer is a little low but I want to wait for a few days for it to fully dissolve before I add more
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

Taylor Technologies K-2005 is what I got now
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

The K-2005 doesn't come with a FAS-DPD test, so you need to add that.

Also, 50 CYA is plenty, I would remove any socks or other undissolved CYA immediately.

The target for 50 CYA is 6 and the minimum is 4. Do you have a good understanding of the SLAM process? Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

15. Back To Top    #15

I guess not because I thought cya for a swg pool was 70-80.
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You are right, sorry I missed that in your signature, my apologies.

e: However, your SWG should be off until you have completed your SLAM anyway. And a SLAM is easier with a CYA of 30ish.

17. Back To Top    #17

right now I am wondering if my swg is working properly to let my chlorine levels to drop so low. cleaning the plates took care of the low salt light. I also did not have any cya in the pool but that was due to me listening to my father who has the same set up in Indiana and doesn't believe in putting chemicals in his pool
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

mdsmitty, Mr Bruce is giving you some good advice, so stick with it. You may be a "Noob", but in some ways that's good - no bad (old) pool habits. Starting with TFP is a good thing. Some key reminders:
    - SLAM now while your CYA is still low to save on bleach. Regular bleach is what you need to use right now. Nothing else. Give the SWG a break until after the SLAM.
    - You need the "FAS-DPD" (powder & drops) test portion to test higher FC levels. You can order it HERE.
    - Stick with the basics and principles you read in the TFP Pool School (link below) and you will do fine.
    - Definitely stay away from the pool store and their free testing. You will spend way too much on products that will not clear-up your water.

Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!