Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hayward sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

hayward sand filter

Hello All-

I'm new to pools. I have an 27 foot above ground pool.

Has a sand filter. The pool is pretty dirty, so I have been trying to run the pump to clean it up a bit before shock. ( We currently are renovating and not living in the home).

SO as I said pool has leaves, lots dirt on the bottom. I did a lot of direct vacuum to waste out. But than I leave it filtering all the other debris. I tend to backwash every 2 hours.

My question in this. I left it filtering for 3-4 hours and went to a store. When I can back the water circulation was so low. So I back-washed filter, and it all cleaned up.

I worry that next time I want to leave filter on for 8 hours before back washing. Will I break my pump if it does dry because sand filter will get clogged?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hayward sand filter

You should try and get most of the leaves and "debris" out by scooping first. I think people expect far too much from vacuuming crud. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello and welcome to TFP! Also, remember that when opening your pool for the first time after winter, often times you have to perform what we call a "SLAM" (link below). The one-time shocks you hear at the pool store are worthless. So make sure to read the SLAM page before you go to far. Since you are new to pools, I would also suggest reading the following:
    Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Poolmath calculator
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFTestkits.net
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. That s true I may be relying on the filter too much....will try to net out more

5. Back To Top    #5

Follow-up...I cleaned out as much of what I see..

There are these tiny debris floating around...can really scoop those out..filter still needs to be backwashed every 2-3 hours or will have low circulation

Like I said above we don't live at the house, and are working most of the day, so no one there to backwash for us.

Here's my question can I start to SLAM right after work at sundown with pump in RECIRCULATION MODE, and not filtering(I'm scared pump will run dry because sand filter will get clogged and none there to backwash it)...

Thoughts? SLAMING ON RECIRCULATION MODE only for daytime, and night, and running filtration/backwash mode when I'm there on the weekend....

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes you can. Moving water on recirculate is better than not moving the water at all. Might extend the SLAM a bit, but better than nothing for sure.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Perfect. Thanks for the reinsurance. Didn't want to wait chemicals if this didn't help.

Any other feedback from others?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Will I break my pump if it does dry because sand filter will get clogged?
    Not really. It will just increase in pressure until it becomes ineffective and won't do much more work. Your pump cannot produce enough pressure to harm the filter and the pump will not run dry in the scenario you are describing.

Don't let the leaves completely block the skimmmer. That WILL starve the pump.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Does anyone else have this issue. When sand filter in recirculation mode, water comes out of the waste valve...and keep draining. Hence I can't use that mode because I will lose water....unless I use a plug for the waste valve.