Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining my pool to clean before opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining my pool to clean before opening

Hello everyone, I have a 27 x 52in above ground pool and was thinking about draining it to get a really good clean to the liner, last year we had some trouble with LG and had a hard time keeping stuff clean for some reason... I was wondering if it was a good idea to drain it to clean the liner first off and how low we can drain it safely without compromising the walls of the pool. Also is there any suggestion on what would be a good cleaning agent for the liner?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Draining my pool to clean before opening

Welcome to TFP!

The best way to clean your liner is to vacuum, run the filter 24/7 and SLAM the pool. Draining is not necessary and really doesn't help as much as you'd think.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

Re: Draining my pool to clean before opening

Cleaning the liner in the Spring isn't going to do anything to prevent algae (I assume that is what LG means) during the season. You have to maintain a proper chlorine level to keep algae from growing.

I see you joined a year ago, but have you discovered the Pool School yet? It is full of tons of good information that can help you keep your pool clear and algae-free.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits